Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   community I'm thinking of building up to (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/community-im-thinking-building-up-95980/)

Da11as 03-12-2012 07:24 PM

community I'm thinking of building up to

Im think of having the following in my 4 foot 150 - 200 litre (sorry not knowing imperial - so unable to convert to Gallons) tank:
4 x flying foxes, 1 bushy-nosed catfish, 20 x neon tetras, 6 bleeding heart tetras, 5 x congo tetras, 1 x red tail shark, 7 x green tiger barbs, 6 x corydoras, 2 x kribs and 3x angel fish;
Is this too many as Im going by a suggestion, and thus doing a lot of research, Im hoping to have plants as well, at the moment all I have is an UGF, (with water, testing the tank) and was advised to get an internal filter as well, am thinking to start of with an UGF then upgrading to a CF, then connecting the UGF to the canister, If I do this then it means I do not have to rip everything out again, and should I connect the outgoing hose to the pipe of the UGF? any thoughts?

ladayen 03-12-2012 07:50 PM

I wouldn't do the flying foxes or the shark. Angel fish aren't going to work with most of the fish listed. If you want angel fish build the entire tank around them. Would do 6 congos at a minimum. Tiger barbs and tetras dont generally work well.

Hmm you already have the UGF? They dont really work well with plants.

200 litres is about 50g and 150 litres is 40g

What fish do you really want the most? We can probably help you build a tank around that one species.

Also what is your PH and GH of your tap water? Will you be using any RO/DI water?

Da11as 03-12-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 1011410)
I wouldn't do the flying foxes or the shark. Angel fish aren't going to work with most of the fish listed. If you want angel fish build the entire tank around them. Would do 6 congos at a minimum. Tiger barbs and tetras dont generally work well.

Hmm you already have the UGF? They dont really work well with plants.

200 litres is about 50g and 150 litres is 40g

What fish do you really want the most? We can probably help you build a tank around that one species.

Also what is your PH and GH of your tap water? Will you be using any RO/DI water?

It is a 200 litre tank so about 50 G then, I really like the neons, but the other half wants angels... lol, PH & GH of the tap water? you mean General Hardness? I have no idea, probably should buy a test kit, as I dont know of any LFS around where I live, I tend to travel about 30 - 45 mins to my FS, as for type of filter, what do you suggest? as my FS advised to get an UGF and an Internal Filter, my fish tank might be ready in 3 months ready for cycling...

ladayen 03-12-2012 09:22 PM

Yes you need to get a test kit and find out what your PH and GH is, also should find out if your area adds chloramine to the water. Putting fish in the wrong PH is just going to kill them soon enough. You should try and find out the PH of the water from the place you will be getting the fish from as well.

Da11as 03-12-2012 11:44 PM

thanks for that I would not have thought of getting the PH from where Im getting the fish from, so thanks a million.... I guess all good things take time, well next week I get the gravel, how much gravel do you suggest I get, I was thinking about 40 kg all told, but was told 60 kg, and I will get a test kit, and should I test the softness/hardness of water before I start, thinking of what type of fish, or is that something easily changed?