Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Who has parrot fish and what tank mates? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/who-has-parrot-fish-what-tank-95965/)

Egrant 03-12-2012 06:39 PM

Who has parrot fish and what tank mates?

Looking to see if anyone has any parrot fish and what type of tank mates you m ay have them with?

I did a search under the profiles link but could not find "parrot" probably some scientific name i dont know.

rrcoolj 03-12-2012 09:26 PM

There are two cichlids that I know that go by that name. There is the hybrid parrot fish and the true parrot fish, Hoplarchus psittacus. I doubt it is the second one but out of curiosity which one are you referring to?

Egrant 03-12-2012 09:42 PM

They are goofey looking. Uasually orange.......

Egrant 03-12-2012 10:33 PM

OK, well after a little research, gotta love google and wikipedia. I am talking about the Blood Parrot. Learned all about it and how it was actually Made or breed in Taiwan in 1986. With that being said, it is called a cichlid, is it safe with south africans????

Tazman 03-12-2012 10:52 PM

Yes it is fine with SA cichlids as it a crossbreed between the Midas (SA) and redhead cichlid.

Personally I boycott places that sell them as I hate them with a passion...the mouth is so small it can die of malnutrition and is also susceptible to disease. It also sometimes does not live very long.

rrcoolj 03-13-2012 05:44 PM

I agree I don't like hybrids at all and try to avoid them.

fjb6673 03-29-2012 09:36 PM

To answer your original question, I have a blood parrot, and here are his tankmates..... 1x Gold Severum, 1x Kribensis, 1x Blue Ram, 5x Serpea Tetra, 1x Panda Cory, 1x Common Pleco. The blood parrot is a really cool fish....lots of personality.

skelator 03-30-2012 10:26 PM

i have a 11 yo parrot hes done great with dempseys, a flowerhorn, firemouth, a few assorted africans. i really havent had a problem i just make sure whateer i put in with him is small from the start. kinda keeps them afraid of him from the start.

mandi85710 04-05-2012 07:10 PM

People make the hybrids no matter what so why should they not get a good home just because they were made. It's not their fault they were made. So that is really not an issue to be talked about wether you like them or not I thought this site was for if you have a question about your fish not to be told that it is basically wrong to have them.

They live very long lives for the most part. They are better with just them in the tank. There are other fish you can add with them as long as they are not really aggressive fish. If you feed them properly and basically make sure they get the food they need they will live a long time. I know people who have had them 9 years.

I soak the pellets in water so that they will sink and make sure I have my guy right by where I drop them and he eats them. I feed him twice a day to make sure he gets what he needs. I also feed him brine shrimp and the pellets I use have the color enhancer in it so they have the extra protein in them as well. He knows when it is time to eat.

Also they are very hearty fish. They do not get sick often at all. There are certain things that can happen if you do not take care of them and pay close attention to their food habits but I do not think that anyone should say it is not right to have them in your tank. That is an opinion. They have been made and do not deserve to suffer bc people don't want them breed anymore. They are still going to do it and if you don't buy them then they will be abused and killed and that is way worse than having one in your tank. That is my opinion on that issue.

There is nothing wrong with it. I mean a lot of people have dogs that are mutts and cats and other animals and I don't see anyone not getting them and saying it is wrong to have them but it is different for fish? They are animals too and need love just as much as dogs and other animals do. So I take offense to previous comments about having them b/c they are wonderful fish to have and have great personalities.

Sorry I went off topic. Good fish to keep with them though are basically semi agressive fish. You do not want anything aggressive with them b/c they do not have the mouths to fight back. They have the size but not the mouth. Sorry about my ranting also again just hate it when people say that just because they are hybrids that have been around since the 80's they should not be bought.