Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   new to site (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-site-95956/)

sonflowerjoela 03-12-2012 05:12 PM

new to site
 
Hello
I'm new to the site. Really love tropical fish profiles :-D

I've got a 72 gallon bow front I've had for 12 years. I want to redo it with colorful freshwater fish that won't fight and kill each other. LOL

I had angelfish in the tank, a school of rummy nose tetras and 2 horse face loaches, then I had to take someones silver dollars and they killed everything in the tank. Now there is one of them left. I'm looking for it
a new home and then I want to start a new community tank. I have found lots of good info on the fish profiles.
I welcome any and all suggestions.
J

fish joey 03-12-2012 07:15 PM

Welcome to TFK :-D

Byron 03-13-2012 08:53 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D Glad you find the profiles useful, they are one of our several resources here.

If you post your question in the Freshwater Aquarium section, and include your water parameters (hardness and pH), other members will undoubtedly offer some suggestions. More members check out the specific sections, so they get more action.;-)

Byron.

willow 03-14-2012 10:04 AM

hello and welcome. :-D

Tazman 03-14-2012 10:05 AM

Welcome to TFK :-)

Termato 03-14-2012 12:49 PM

I personally love the Gourami species but with a 75 gallon tank you might be able to get bigger fish unless you want to stay around the 3-4" range.

especially the Dwarf Gourami

sonflowerjoela 03-14-2012 01:26 PM

gourami
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1013083)
I personally love the Gourami species but with a 75 gallon tank you might be able to get bigger fish unless you want to stay around the 3-4" range.

especially the Dwarf Gourami


I love gourami's also. Just want them to all get along. Do you have a mixed tank of Gourami's?

Termato 03-14-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonflowerjoela (Post 1013113)
I love gourami's also. Just want them to all get along. Do you have a mixed tank of Gourami's?

I had a mixed tank of gouramis. They kept to themselves (I had one male in each tank). They do better if you have a female with the male, not as lonely (I have only seen female gouramis for sale online and at walmart sadly). Although that was the Powdered Dwarf Gourami. They were blue. When I tried the Sunset Gourami he was a bit more aggressive. The Dwarf species seem to keep more to themselves. If you give them enough space and only have one male they do fine. Maybe throw in a female or two for peace keeping.

This is in the fish profiles:
Both shy and territorial, this fish can be maintained in a larger community aquarium with peaceful and quiet tankmates but usually not other gourami or active, boisterous fish. Males are territorial with other males. Sometimes other brightly-coloured fish will cause this fish to become aggressive. Should be maintained in sexed pairs only.

Read more: Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius) Profile

If you are thinking about the dwarf gourami I would really read that page I just linked over really well.

I had two bright mollies in the tank with it (they were longer and about the same size and kept to themselves) and they never fought.

The reason I don't have them anymore is because I was worried for their health, my water is harder than they like it and eventually one start spazzing so I returned them. Byron had suggested to me that water that is good for mollies usually isn't good for the gouramis. Live bearers like hard water while the gouramis like soft to moderately hard water. I love those fish though, one day I will have them again :).

That will be the main thing deciding your stock, what kind of water you have. I would really look at all of that information so you can see what is safe to keep in your tank without having to go out of your way to fill it up.

sonflowerjoela 03-14-2012 02:34 PM

thank you
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1013117)
I had a mixed tank of gouramis. They kept to themselves (I had one male in each tank). They do better if you have a female with the male, not as lonely (I have only seen female gouramis for sale online and at walmart sadly). Although that was the Powdered Dwarf Gourami. They were blue. When I tried the Sunset Gourami he was a bit more aggressive. The Dwarf species seem to keep more to themselves. If you give them enough space and only have one male they do fine. Maybe throw in a female or two for peace keeping.

This is in the fish profiles:
Both shy and territorial, this fish can be maintained in a larger community aquarium with peaceful and quiet tankmates but usually not other gourami or active, boisterous fish. Males are territorial with other males. Sometimes other brightly-coloured fish will cause this fish to become aggressive. Should be maintained in sexed pairs only.

Read more: Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius) Profile

If you are thinking about the dwarf gourami I would really read that page I just linked over really well.

I had two bright mollies in the tank with it (they were longer and about the same size and kept to themselves) and they never fought.

The reason I don't have them anymore is because I was worried for their health, my water is harder than they like it and eventually one start spazzing so I returned them. Byron had suggested to me that water that is good for mollies usually isn't good for the gouramis. Live bearers like hard water while the gouramis like soft to moderately hard water. I love those fish though, one day I will have them again :).

That will be the main thing deciding your stock, what kind of water you have. I would really look at all of that information so you can see what is safe to keep in your tank without having to go out of your way to fill it up.

Thank you again. I did not know that about the dwarf gourami! I had one of those a long time ago. It was really mean. I eventually had to buy a 5 gallon tank for it to live by itself.
My water is on the hard side haven't checked it recently. I used to try to keep Discus, but could never quite get the water right. So I gave that up. I would really like a blue or 3 spot gourami and a pearl gourami but not sure it would work. I'll see once I get tank ready again.

Termato 03-14-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonflowerjoela (Post 1013173)
Thank you again. I did not know that about the dwarf gourami! I had one of those a long time ago. It was really mean. I eventually had to buy a 5 gallon tank for it to live by itself.
My water is on the hard side haven't checked it recently. I used to try to keep Discus, but could never quite get the water right. So I gave that up. I would really like a blue or 3 spot gourami and a pearl gourami but not sure it would work. I'll see once I get tank ready again.

No Problem. If you could post up the water parameters, hardness and all that good stuff I bet everyone else can give you some good advice on what fish to keep.

72 gallon has a lot of space so I bet you have a variety of options.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2