Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Have angels that are breeding and want them to live (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/have-angels-breeding-want-them-live-9594/)

sweatpantstom 11-27-2007 02:57 PM

Have angels that are breeding and want them to live

Ok so here is my situation.

I have a 20gal tank that used to have 6 chilids in it but they all just passed away due to someone overfeeding them over thanksgiving :cry: . so now left in the 20 gal is 2 plecos, 1 eel, and 1 snail (from my roomates tank that i took out so it wouldn't eat the eggs). So now i am just letting the tank cycle from the recent deaths and want to hopefully raise the baby angels in it but not sure how to get it all set up.

My roomates 20gal tank that has the angels that are breeding are in a community tank. In this tank are 4 pandas, a dragon looking thing, 2 killifish, another angelfish that gets picked on, a muscle, a twigfish, and 1 pleco, and some American waterweed (Elodea canadensis).

This is how my roomates tank acts the 2 that are breeding keep the other angel away and they do a good job of it the other angel now knows that he only has one little corner in the tank (poor guy). as for the other fish they don't get picked on but they stay away from where the eggs are being layed (the eggs are being layed on the tube of the filter) all of the other fish leave the eggs alone(at least when the lights are on). The furthest I have seen the eggs get are to the point where they look like tadpoles have eyes and the yolk sack and there were four of them but went to bed and the next morning they were all gone.

so what I want to do is is to use my 20gal tank to help breed the angelfish since I do not want to stock it back up since i will be having to take in down in about 6 months. What would be the best way to set up the tanks to insure that we can get some baby angels. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Lupin 11-27-2007 04:56 PM

If you have a PVC pipe or anything that can be removed easily afterwards, I'd suggest placing it in the tank in vertical position. Once they lay eggs, you can try removing the platform with eggs stuck and move it to the 20 gallons. Dose with methylene blue solution to prevent fungal developments and put airstone near the eggs to imitate the way angels clean their eggs by fanning them with their tails. You can operate only a sponge filter for that tank. Wait for a few days. Do feed the fry only when they're free swimming. If you have Java moss and riccia (needs more light), this makes things easier as they can pick on microorganisms in them while you can invest to hatch brine shrimps or obtain foods that are designed for egg-laying fry. I'd try the egg yolk. Egg must be hardboiled and you can scrape off a small part and suspend it in a jar with water. Use medicine dropper and squirt the water with egg yolk mixture to the fry but be careful not to overfeed. The rest of the egg..you can eat them.:brow:

sweatpantstom 11-27-2007 07:19 PM

I have clay pots from my old chiclid tank I assume that would do the same job? when you say dose with the fungal stuff do I just do that to the water or am I applying that to the eggs? with the soft sponge filter why can i only use that? I just don't want to go out buying things that I really don't need could i put something around the holes of my current filter so they don't get sucked up or do i need a sponge filter for more reasons then just them getting sucked up? the egg yolk idea sounds great cause not only am i feeding my fish but i would be able to have a nice egg salad sandwich :D . thanks

Lupin 11-27-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweatpantstom
I have clay pots from my old chiclid tank I assume that would do the same job? when you say dose with the fungal stuff do I just do that to the water or am I applying that to the eggs? with the soft sponge filter why can i only use that? I just don't want to go out buying things that I really don't need could i put something around the holes of my current filter so they don't get sucked up or do i need a sponge filter for more reasons then just them getting sucked up? the egg yolk idea sounds great cause not only am i feeding my fish but i would be able to have a nice egg salad sandwich :D . thanks

Dose the med to the water. Sponge filters don't absorb eggs and fry like other filters do hence safer to use. Besides the fry can pick on the sponge as they eat microorganisms that may harbor in it.

The clay pots being suggested were those tall terracotta pots. How do your clay pots look? Angelfish often lay their eggs on broad leaves or decors in vertical position. Slates will work.

sweatpantstom 11-28-2007 12:30 PM

yes they are tall terracotta pots and I have a assortment of them some small and some large. but other then that i do not know how to describe they way they look because they are just your typical terracotta pots.

Lupin 11-28-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweatpantstom
yes they are tall terracotta pots and I have a assortment of them some small and some large. but other then that i do not know how to describe they way they look because they are just your typical terracotta pots.

You'll be fine with it.:)