Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   CPD breeding. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/cpd-breeding-95892/)

Stoke88 03-11-2012 09:09 PM

CPD breeding.

My fiancee has a 10 gallon tank with 1 Buenos Aires Tetra, 1 Butterfly Tetra, 2 Pencilfish, 2 CPD's, 1 Dwarf Emerald Rasbora and 1 Peppered Cory Cat. Shes had this setup for all of 4-5 years now with the DER and CPD's being the newest additions about 5 months ago. I'm really interested in breeding these two CPD's to have more. The 2 CPD's and Dwarf Emerald Rasbora's were bought together as they were the last 3 in the tank and a tight group. The Pencilfish have joined this tight group making quite an odd school in the tank. The CPD's are a male/female pair and fully mature. I know the ideal setup would be a few more of each sex but is there anyway I can get these two to breed anyways? What would be the optimal setup to make this happen? Should they be separated from the others? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Byron 03-12-2012 07:56 PM

Our profile doesn't go into detail on spawning, so here is some info from my friend Matt Ford, a UK biologist, taken from his site:

Like many small cyprinids it's an egg-scattering spawner that shows no parental care. That is to say when the fish are in good condition they will spawn often and in a densely-planted, mature aquarium it's possible that small numbers of fry may start to appear without intervention.

However if you want to increase the yield of fry a slightly more controlled approach is required. The adult group can still be conditioned together but one or more smaller, say 12" x 8" x 8"/30cm x 20cm x 20cm/12.6 litre containers should also be set up and filled with aged water. Fill most of the available space with fine wool mops, Java moss or other fine-leaved plant. Neither lighting nor filtration is necessary although you can install a small air-powered sponge filter if you prefer.

When the adult fish are well-conditioned a single pair can then be introduced to each container; using more increases the risk of egg predation plus males tend to distract each other from the females if there's more than one in the tank. Spawning normally presents few problems with around 30 mildly adhesive eggs deposited in a typical event.

At this point the adults are best removed as they will eat any they find, plus females need a recovery period before spawning again as they're unable to produce eggs on a daily basis. In nature it apparently breeds year-round so you can always select another pair and work a rotation system if continuous production is the aim. Success has also been had using a permanent set-up with a single male and multiple females, the eggs being removed each day using a pipette or length of airline as a syphon. In this case ensure the water in the rearing container is the same as in the adults' tank. Incubation is temperature-dependant to an extent but usually takes around 72 hours with the young free-swimming 3-4 days later. Initial food should be Paramecium or a proprietary dry food of sufficiently small (5-50 micron diameter) grade, introducing Artemia nauplii, microworm, etc. once the fry are large enough to accept them.

Stoke88 03-13-2012 03:03 PM

Thanks for the reply Byron. Is there anyway I can get a hold of your friend directly? I have a few questions I'd like to ask him on this topic. It seems as though this is a fairly easy setup and I have most of the stuff needed so I'm eager to give it a try ASAP.

Byron 03-13-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke88 (Post 1012201)
Thanks for the reply Byron. Is there anyway I can get a hold of your friend directly? I have a few questions I'd like to ask him on this topic. It seems as though this is a fairly easy setup and I have most of the stuff needed so I'm eager to give it a try ASAP.

Matt owns Seriously Fish, you can reach him through that site. Seriouslyfish.com

Stoke88 03-13-2012 03:18 PM

Thanks again.

Fishguy2727 03-21-2012 08:48 PM

Take everything else out of the ten gallon, add some more celestial pearl danios, and cram it full of plants. You will get babies. We accidentally got babies at the shop I work at with this method.