Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Hello, first question

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TrashmanNYC 
#1 ·
Whats up, new here and I just wanted to ask a question...........
Right now I have a 20G Hex tank with two tiger barbs and a "red fin" shark (?)..........I went and bought a 46G bowfront tank today and will be setting it up tommorrow........I have kind of been slacking on the 20g lately and I havent done any water changes in a while.........how exactly should I go about setting up the new tank and transferring the contents of the old tank.......?

Thanks......
Robb

#2 ·
Hello fellow New Yorker.

Anyways...

Take your fish and put it in a jar or whatever that can hold em, than drain water out of your 20g in to some sort of clean container than can hold 20 g ( you need to save that water) Transfer gravel+ additional gravel, than plants and everything else... set it up the way u like it than... add your old water in +new water than add this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=cycle&Np=1

and add fish....

good luck.

#3 ·
Safest way to do it would be to get the gravel in the old tank as clean as you can with a couple water changes. Half fill the new tank with the same temperature water and add dechlorinator to it. Move the gravel, fill the new tank the rest of the way with old water and then move the fish. Moving the fish to a bucket is an option but moving the fish twice will only stress them out even more, IMHO.

Always, always make sure to check your ammonia for a couple weeks after moving fish to a new tank. Even with the best efforts a mini cycle can be triggered and needs to be watched for.

#4 ·
Hello.
Are you going to transfer your existing filter from your 20 gal to the new tank? When I upgraded from a 20 gal to 55 I used my existing filter from my established 20 gallon tank along with a new filter on the 55. I did use new gravel because the old gravel was pretty grungy. Although I did put a few handfuls of the old gravel in a nylon stocking and put it in the new filter also to help seed it. I kept the 20 gallon running until I was ready to transfer it straight over to the 55. I tested the water every day for the first few weeks and never saw a mini cycle.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses....

tonight I did about a 50% change and cleaned the gravel........i plan on doing it again tommorrow and hopefully make the transfer on thursday.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.