Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Sump media? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sump-media-95807/)

bnose123 03-10-2012 11:05 PM

Sump media?

hey every1 new here and i have a freshwater tropical 4ft tank and setting up a 2 foot sump with 5 section i was think of using a

1 filter sock Or fitler wool for the first
2 bio balls??? are these good
3 Noodles?
4 gravel and matrix?
5 pump and heater

thanks guys im just wondering are all of these medias the recommed one's to use.

Tazman 03-10-2012 11:07 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Is this a DIY build or a ready made sump?

bnose123 03-11-2012 01:31 AM

already made

Tazman 03-11-2012 07:19 AM

would it be possible to post a picture?

To Post a picture, in the message box, click "go advanced", on the top bar there is a white smiley face, next to the smiley face is a paperclip. click on the paperclip, a box will pop up. Browse to where the photo is stored and once found click "upload", it will attach the picture but it will not be visible until you preview the post or actually post the message.

AbbeysDad 03-11-2012 08:12 AM

Welcome!
I think bio balls and noodles are somewhat expensive, over-rated commercialized 'stuff'. If I had a sump, (don't laugh) I'd go to the dollar store and get a bunch of nylon pot scrubbers for wet/dry. I don't think I'd bother with gravel, but Matrix, De*Nitrate and or a deep sand bed might be good.

bnose123 03-12-2012 01:26 AM

sounds good i have a canister filter with media in it now so im going to use media in that

1st filter wool then sponges
2nd pot scrubers
3rd noodles and bio balls
4th matrix and gravel
5th heater and pump

does this sound like a good setup for my sump?

no im not going to all that work for a pic you no what a 2ft long glass fish tank is by 1ft by 1ft and other poeple seem to be answering my questions fine sorry

thanks guys

Tazman 03-12-2012 07:28 AM

The reason I asked was because the baffles usually used in most ready made sumps that people employ on freshwater tanks, restrict the flow enough to sometimes make certain media totally ineffective and a trap for waste.

Bioballs and pot scrubbers will not be as effective being totally submerged in water, they work most efficiently when used in a wet/dry setup.

Heater should be in one of the middle compartments, it may not have time to heat the water sufficiently before it is pumped back to the tank being in with the pump.

bnose123 03-13-2012 01:07 AM

Fair enough mate, yer all the media will be fully submersed what media do u recommend?
Posted via Mobile Device

Adamson 03-13-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnose123 (Post 1011830)
Fair enough mate, yer all the media will be fully submersed what media do u recommend?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hel-x or K1

Tazman 03-13-2012 07:39 AM

Fluidized bed filters can be hard to setup and maintain in a sump.

It would really help seeing a picture of the sump or a link to iy, to offer the best solutions to make it as effective as possible.