Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Glass tops not really fitting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/glass-tops-not-really-fitting-95772/)

Jayy 03-10-2012 07:09 PM

Glass tops not really fitting

Today I bought two glass tops from petco for my 55. When got home I realized one was cracked and the other seems too short. It doesn't fit in the area for the top. I can get it to sit above it, but it takes a long.time to get it centered. Should I return both? Also I'm confused on how to program my timer. The fixture I bought comes on as soon as you plug it in.

Jayy 03-10-2012 11:01 PM

I'm thinking of returning them and ordering somewhere else.

Tazman 03-10-2012 11:13 PM

With regards to the glass top, If it was damaged in the box when you bought it then yes take it back. If it was something you did well it is up to you as to wether or not to take it back and try and get a replacement.
If you do not keep fish which are really known jumpers then you can always leave the tank open topped, just adds a bit to evaporation.

The timer could be that you have to pull the tabs up to shut it off and down for on, I had that issue with my timers for my saltwater tank.

Jayy 03-10-2012 11:39 PM

Thanks I think we've figured out the timer, as for tops I measure them and they're a inch too long. Do you thing another brand might be better? I think I want to keep the tank covered, just in case.

Tazman 03-10-2012 11:45 PM

If it is a standard 55 then try these.

Jayy 03-10-2012 11:54 PM

Thanks! I hope they're not the same brand. Have you used them before?

Tazman 03-11-2012 12:04 AM

No as I am in Canada and they dont ship here. I have Hagen tanks and it is very easy to get Hagen tops here.

The products they sell though are very good from what I hear on other forums and on here.

Jayy 03-11-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1009593)
No as I am in Canada and they dont ship here. I have Hagen tanks and it is very easy to get Hagen tops here.

The products they sell though are very good from what I hear on other forums and on here.

Hopefully they'll fit. I'll try to post a pic. On a funny note, I went to my Lfs and when buying for plants this is what happened: Worker: what can I get for you. Me: yes, Umm can I one of those crypts, two of the cabomba and that b)razilian penny wort Worker: You want WHAT? Me: (points to it) the brazilian penny wort. Worker: (Points to it) THIS??. Me ...yes...? Worker: Hay men this guy says this stuff is... what did you call it?? Me: ....brazilian penny wort?? Other guy REALLY??!!... we've been trying to figure out what it was all week. Worker: Call maggie and ask how much it is. other guy: Ok. My sister and I found this VERY funny. Here I am a 14 YEAR OLD and I know more than the store workers.... WOW

Jayy 03-11-2012 12:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres a few pics

Tazman 03-11-2012 08:23 AM

LOL, that does not surprise me at all.

A standard 55g is 48" x 13" x 21", so take this into account when looking for the glass top.