Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ten gallon Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ten-gallon-tank-95763/)

es31710 03-10-2012 05:09 PM

Ten gallon Tank

So my ten gallon tank has a ABN Pleco(2.5 inches had him for about 2 weeks) a Platy(9 months old born and raised in tht tank) and a BR(had him about 4 months now)
My water parameters:
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
My question is am i fully stocked. I do weekly water changes and my tank is fully planted.
Open to suggestions.
Honestly i wouldn't have to do weekly water changes bc none of that ever goes up accept my nitrates fluctuate between 0-5. Never over 5. Never have nitrites or ammonia.

PhilipPhish 03-10-2012 05:30 PM

Its very nice! I like it! Great job!

thekoimaiden 03-11-2012 01:24 PM

Since I'm not familiar with those fish, I'll leave those suggestions up to someone else. My one suggestion for the plants is to get some floating plants. It helps soften the light and will make the fish feel more comfortable and let less light enter the tank to avoid algae blooms. It will also help keep your nitrates down around 0 ppm, but that won't eliminate the need for water changes.

Water sprite is my favorite floating plant, but frogbit and duckweed are others that can be used.

MinaMinaMina 03-11-2012 01:49 PM

The floating plants are a great idea!

You can click on the shaded name to read more about the Bolivan Ram, and to see that it needs at least 20 gallon tank.

Byron 03-11-2012 03:15 PM

That is a nice 10g aquarium. Well done. As you've asked, I'll offer some suggestions.

First, definitely some floating plants as has been suggested, and Water Sprite is one of the best. Click the shaded name for the profile data and photos.

A background would help to show off the beautiful plants and fish, and make the fish a bit more secure. Something as simple as plain black construction paper that you can get in craft and hobby stores. Plain non-shiny black works best as it makes the tank depth (front to back) somewhat disappear.

Mina mentioned the Ram's size.

Now some advice on water changes. Nitrates is one reason we do water changes, but in a planted tank that is not so important (nitrates I mean) since they will (or should) always be low, below 10ppm and often below 5ppm. But weekly water changes are more important for other reasons. Stuff that cannot be removed by filters accumulate and the water change is the only way to remove them. Pheromones, urine, dissolved waste--all these just pile up without a water change. You can;t test for them, they are just there. Changing 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank every week will work against this. Plants also do.

Byron.