Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   differences of salt mixes (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/differences-salt-mixes-95642/)

SEAWEED54 03-09-2012 11:05 AM

differences of salt mixes

It's been a long time since I had a saltwater tank so I have a few
Questions.

I went to my LFS to get some of the supplies I need to get up and running , when I came across this issue .

I always used instant ocean salt the one in purple tub with no issues.
the guy at the fish store said even if I don't have a reef tank I should use the instant ocean reef salt the one in orange tub , he said it cycles faster and also keeps fish more healthy, also contains better nutrients for the live rock . how true is this and would I be better off with the reef salt.

it's only a matter of 2 or 3 dollars between the two in cost

just want my new tank to run smooth like the one I had many years ago ,

thank you for all your input

tank specs are as follows :

37 gal bow front
JBJ reaction 4 stage canister filter with built in uv sterilizer
external penguin bio filter with skimmer attachment
ETH 200 watt inline heater
2 power heads

John

onefish2fish 03-09-2012 11:30 AM

the other salt wont help anything cycle faster. it does have more minerals then the blue bucket. i use reef crystals (which should be the orange one you speak of ) and seem to have no issues with it. pick a salt and stick with it. also when you get the bucket home roll it around for a good 5 minutes to mix it up.

welcome to the forum.

reefsahoy 04-17-2012 09:26 PM

If you are keeping a fish only tank then IO is good enough, but for reefs i'd go with RC. RC has better ca, mg, and alk levels for reefs. I also like RC because it's easy to mix and tend not getting precipitation. I used it on my 100g and successfully kept my tank in its glory for years!

Tazman 04-17-2012 09:32 PM

RC being Reef Crystals? am interested in this as I need to get some salt mix soon for my small nano 29g tank. FOWLR at the moment, but going reef in a few months time.

Reefing Madness 04-17-2012 10:38 PM

If you plan on dosing the tank, theres no reason to get Reef Crystals, as the dosing will take care of the elements needed for the tank. IE, higher MAG, ALK, CALCIUM

reefsahoy 04-18-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1050553)
RC being Reef Crystals? am interested in this as I need to get some salt mix soon for my small nano 29g tank. FOWLR at the moment, but going reef in a few months time.

yes RC= reef crystals. and if you have fowlr i'd probably still use it because coralline needs elevated ca, and mg along with strong lighting of the right spectrum.

Tazman 04-18-2012 07:38 AM

OK, thanks guys, I will just stick with what I am doing probably, which is dosing at the moment.
Will price it up though and may use it in the future once the reef is a bit more advanced. I have only 2 clownfish at the moment and a firefish in QT for the next 3 weeks.