Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Lots of tiny bubbles in a new tank!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/lots-tiny-bubbles-new-tank-95628/)

Beelzeboss 03-09-2012 04:38 AM

Lots of tiny bubbles in a new tank!!

Hello all,

Firstly, I presume that this is a commonly occurring phenomenon in a new tank and secondly I apologise in advance if this problem has been discussed previously. So here it goes:

I recently set up a new tank. I treated water with tap water conditioner and added bacteria. I have had water tested at the pet store and its is good.

However, there are lots (and i mean lots) of tiny bubbles in the tank so much so that it appears a little clouded from a distance.

My question is - Is this normal and will it even out over time giving me clear water?

I am new to this hence my question.

Thanking you in advance.

B.

Geomancer 03-09-2012 06:09 AM

Yep it is normal, nothing to worry about. There is a lot of agitation in the water when filling it for the first time, along with air pockets that get stuck under gravel and such. As it calms and settles the over abundance of dissolved oxygen will return to a gaseous form and you get bubbles.

Same kind of principle behind a bottle of pop (yeah, I'm originally from the west, we refuse to call it soda ;) after you open it and see lots of bubbles form. In that case it is an over abundance of dissolved CO2 that is returning to a gas and escaping.

Beelzeboss 03-09-2012 06:29 AM

If there are a couple of fish in there. Will it harm them?

Geomancer 03-09-2012 07:07 AM

No, the bubbles won't hurt them at all.

Having them in an uncycled tank, however, will.

You may wish to read over this article: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

You will need to be vigilant over the next 4-8 weeks.

Romad 03-09-2012 07:39 AM

I agree with everything Geomancer has stated already. Good luck with your new tank and welcome to the forum :wave:

Beelzeboss 03-09-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1008027)
I agree with everything Geomancer has stated already. Good luck with your new tank and welcome to the forum :wave:

Thank you again.

I only have a couple of fish in there and they seem okay. They are feeding ok and dont seem agitated at all but I will definitely keep an eye on them. I also purchased a testing kit to keep a eye on pH levels etc.

Geomancer 03-09-2012 08:10 AM

You won't have to worry too much about pH. It will stay pretty constant, but can slightly lower as the tank establishes. How much it lowers depends on the KH of your tap water. Most tropical community fish like acidic water so that usually isn't much of a concern (within limits).

What you need to watch like a hawk during cycling is Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Both Ammonia and even more so Nitrite are extremely toxic, and the damage they cause to the fish is permanent (they will not 'heal' over time). Best test kit for this is the API Master Test Kit, it's a liquid test which are more accurate than using strips.

Take a look in the article I linked, it explains the whole process and what to expect.

Byron 03-09-2012 10:35 AM

Agree with what's been posted. And I emphasize reading that linked article on cycling.

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D

Byron.

Beelzeboss 03-09-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1008138)
Agree with what's been posted. And I emphasize reading that linked article on cycling.

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D

Byron.

Thanks

Beelzeboss 03-15-2012 05:29 PM

Seemed to have solved the problem along with a previously unreported one (noise from filter).

I took the plunge, so to speak, and submerged the filter fully in the water. As I said I am new to this and didnt realise that the filter should be fully submerged (its sealed by the way). Advice (bad) from pet store was to leave a little above the surface. As a result there was serious noise coming from the filter as well as the bubbles. Noise was driving my wife crazy. All good now though and fish are happy!

Filter model is Aqua One 102f for info of all in case somebody has the same issue.

B.