Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   planted tank. what should i add? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/planted-tank-what-should-i-add-95605/)

yyankeeyankeefan 03-08-2012 11:01 PM

planted tank. what should i add?

1 Attachment(s)
i have started to plant my tank and i am starting to get happy with it. i like what is in there and i am hoping to see everything thrive. though i did find out bad things about the mondo grass :( but i will leave it there for now and replace it when i need to. this is my first real go at planted tanks. so i am just going with what i think looks nice. no real rhyme or reason where i placed things. so a little guidance is always welcome! :-P sorry about the crappy photo. am going to get a real camera next week prob. will take much better pics!

Geomancer 03-09-2012 06:56 AM

I see you have bubblers, you may want to remove those. Surface agitation will cause a gas exchange. CO2 will leave, and Oxygen will enter. Normally that's a good thing, but with plants they need the CO2 for Carbon and as we all know, in the process they release oxygen.

The plants will provide the oxygen your fish need, so you really don't need the bubblers anymore.

Inga 03-09-2012 07:55 AM

Looks great! It should fill in very nice. I agree with watching the Mondo Grass. I do not know why places sell that as an aquarium plant as it only lasts a month. I guess that is more then the 14 day return policy most places have. If it isn't past, I would take it back and trade it for something that IS a true aquatic plant. Why waste the money?

Byron 03-09-2012 11:31 AM

That's a good start.

The Mondo Grass may last, or it may not. It often will last for a year or even longer, so just keep an eye on it.

Byron.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-09-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1008005)
I see you have bubblers, you may want to remove those. Surface agitation will cause a gas exchange. CO2 will leave, and Oxygen will enter. Normally that's a good thing, but with plants they need the CO2 for Carbon and as we all know, in the process they release oxygen.

The plants will provide the oxygen your fish need, so you really don't need the bubblers anymore.

i took those out at one time and they all stayed at the top almost like gulping for air. so i put them in and they started to swim around normal again.

TwinDad 03-09-2012 12:29 PM

Bubbler is a term for air pump, or bubble maker, it looks like you have one in your tank. If you have an air pump you need to remove it from the tank. It has no need unless you are using CO2. That tank looks great.

Good to hear the fish are enjoying it now.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-09-2012 01:01 PM

thank you all. i am going to be ordering more plants next week and i should get them in the week after. i can't wait! i have started to plant all my tanks. and am very happy with my progress.

Andarial 03-09-2012 01:57 PM

I've realized usually when you start planting tanks you never really go back to unplanted XD.

Anyway, I think it looks great right now but you might want some floating plants? just because it looks like you have none and I know most fish enjoy them. This is just a suggestion though.

fish monger 03-09-2012 02:12 PM

I've had mondo grass for a little over 3 months now. It almost seems like a fake plant. No changes, but still hanging in there. I'm keeping an eye on it as Byron says. Your tank looks really nice.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-09-2012 02:19 PM

thank you. i do also have floating plants. water lettuce (mini) not much but from what i gather it multiplys fast once established :)