Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Suggested compatible large fish with bamboo shrimp for 125g tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/suggested-compatible-large-fish-bamboo-shrimp-95579/)

lcbrent 03-08-2012 03:42 PM

Suggested compatible large fish with bamboo shrimp for 125g tank

I am trying to find a good fish stock for my 125g tank. I currently have fish in it but they are going to be rehomed. The only inhabitants in it now that we do wish to keep are 2 bamboo shrimp (currently a good 4in). I have an underwater fan going in addition to the canister filter (didnt seem to be enough flow to please the shrimp so added the fan). So there is a rather substantial current in the tank. I have all the blowers (filter out and fan) both on one end but there does seem to be a mild cyclonic flow going on from the way the plants are moving. In pleasing my hubby (he vetoed the last set up, fish too small) Id like to find a large (6-10in, around 8 is ideal) type of fish that will work with the shrimp and not eat them. Oh and Id like to be able to keep my live plants. Other set up notes: Gravel substrate, driftwood, fluval fx5 canister filter with sphagnum peat in filter for tannins, water: pH 7.2-7.8. (plants: anubias & wisteria)

Currently thinking about:

6 red tailed tinfoil barbs
6-8 hillstream loaches (or other bottom dweller, very open to suggestions here)
6 Denison barbs or 10 Tiger Barbs (current inhabitants)

Im thinking the tank size may be a bit small (5x18x30 ) for the red tailed tinfoil though if not they are my target to plan arround. I have read they will eat my plants is that true? I have spent ever so many hours looking through the profiles, I thought these guys looked like they had some potential. But since there are the shrimp to consider I figured Id just ask you guys for your thought. Im figuring as long as I want to keep the shrimp the size of the fish will have to be considerably smaller. But they are rather large shrimp so Im all ears/eyes.

GwenInNM 03-08-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbrent (Post 1007340)
I am trying to find a good fish stock for my 125g tank. I currently have fish in it but they are going to be rehomed. The only inhabitants in it now that we do wish to keep are 2 bamboo shrimp (currently a good 4in). I have an underwater fan going in addition to the canister filter (didnt seem to be enough flow to please the shrimp so added the fan). So there is a rather substantial current in the tank. I have all the blowers (filter out and fan) both on one end but there does seem to be a mild cyclonic flow going on from the way the plants are moving. In pleasing my hubby (he vetoed the last set up, fish too small) Id like to find a large (6-10in, around 8 is ideal) type of fish that will work with the shrimp and not eat them. Oh and Id like to be able to keep my live plants. Other set up notes: Gravel substrate, driftwood, fluval fx5 canister filter with sphagnum peat in filter for tannins, water: pH 7.2-7.8. (plants: anubias & wisteria)

Currently thinking about:

6 red tailed tinfoil barbs
6-8 hillstream loaches (or other bottom dweller, very open to suggestions here)
6 Denison barbs or 10 Tiger Barbs (current inhabitants)

Im thinking the tank size may be a bit small (5x18x30 ) for the red tailed tinfoil though if not they are my target to plan arround. I have read they will eat my plants is that true? I have spent ever so many hours looking through the profiles, I thought these guys looked like they had some potential. But since there are the shrimp to consider I figured Id just ask you guys for your thought. Im figuring as long as I want to keep the shrimp the size of the fish will have to be considerably smaller. But they are rather large shrimp so Im all ears/eyes.

I have 2 bamboo shrimp that are smaller than yours, and have had no problems at all with my Burmese or Angelicas/Botia loaches. They say they may bother shrimp, but so far no problems at all. Don't bother the ghost shrimp either. My loaches are about 3 inches long. The other cool loach, that gets really big, is the clown loach. Not sure how they'd do with Bamboo shrimp. Of course, if you got them while they were small and young, by the time they grew large enough to mess with your Bamboo shrimp, you wouldn't have them anymore, likely. Bamboo shrimp are all wild caught and only live a year or a bit more. I love my Bamboo shrimp :-D I'd be curious what others say about Clown loaches and shrimp. Why not do a large school of very colorful fish, like the Bosemani Rainbow fish. If you put live plants in a tank that large and have a school of these, it would be so beautiful!

Gwen

Byron 03-09-2012 10:47 AM

Comments on the fish you initially listed:

Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb is doable in a 125g, assuming this is a 5-foot (or 6) tank. You can read more on them in the profile, click the shaded name. A group of 5-6 on their own, they attain 8 inches.

Denisons barb would also work, a group of 8, these attain 6 inches; again, more info in the profile.

Hillstream Loach is actually a good match with the Denisons Barb, both require lower temperature and moving water for oxygen. There are some ideas for aquascapes in the profiles. My only concern with combining the loach with the Tinfoil is they might get eaten. Otherwise, also a good match for same reasons.

Byron.