Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - Discolored diamond tetra(s) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/discolored-diamond-tetra-s-95464/)
Discolored diamond tetra(s)
Today I woke up and noticed immediately one of my Diamond tetras was abnormally colored. On closer inspection, it seems like possibly a couple of the others are a little bit too. These are my favorite fish, and I am quite a bit alarmed. It looks like the mainly affected one has been dipped in black dye and pulled out quickly, leaving kind of a vague charcoal colored suntan. Links to photos are at bottom.
I added 8 Harlequin rasboras yesterday, and I didn't quarantine them before I did so.
When I tried to remove the most discolored one to put in a little quarantine tank I have, the tank went into a frenzy, and I couldn't catch it, so obviously he isn't feeling too listless. More interesting though, I suddenly had a hard time identifying which one was the most discolored; I guess his color changed because I was scaring him with the net.
Does anyone recognize what might be going on? I can take more photos if necessary. I do have a spare tank with heater/air stone I can use as a hospital tank if anyone knows something I should be treating them with.
Thanks for any info.
* * * * *
1. Size of tank? 29 gallons
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. We have very hard water but have a residential water softener installed (salt system).
3. Temperature? 78 degrees Fahrenheit
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Approximately 2-1/2 months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Dwarf gourami, 1, approx 2.5 inches, about 2 months
Neon tetra, 10, approx 1 inches, about 2 months
Diamond tetra, 8, approx 3 weeks, about 2 inches
Siamese Algae eaters, 2, approx 3 weeks, about 4 inches
Harlequin rasboras, 8, 1 day, very small
Very well mannered male betta who is a nice tank citizen, 1
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Yes, water sprite, vesuvius, wisteria, and a sword plant (St. Elmo's Fire sword)
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Substrate from aquariumplants.com
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? yes, driftwood plus large stump (artificial) with 5 entrances
9. a. Filtration? Marineland penguin 350 biowheel
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? When I'm up, the light is on, so about 16 hours. It is an AquaticLife T5 fixture, dual 2x24 bulbs (standard, whatever came with it when I bought it).
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Occasionally, if the drapes slip open, but not sustained
11. a. Water change schedule? No strict schedule, at least weekly, usually more
b. Volume of water changed? variable, 10% to 30%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Well water
d. Water conditioner used? No
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Only once, about 1 week ago with a battery operated gravel siphon (Tom) which doesn't remove water, just waste
New Life Spectrum Optimum (twice daily)
Frozen brine shrimp (about once a week)
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop? Unknown
c. Appearance of gills? Normal
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No
b. What meds were used? Nothing
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
This is them when colored NORMALLY a few weeks ago.
If that doesn't work, you can flip through the album that you'll find by clicking this link (yes, it looks like an ad, but it seems to link to my album...sorry, I only learned to link to it for this post): Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.