Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Not sure what's wrong... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/not-sure-whats-wrong-9545/)

reeeeka 11-24-2007 05:56 PM

Not sure what's wrong...

Hello,

I'm hoping you can help me. Here's my dilemma...

At first I thought my Betta was constipated as my boyfriend was feeding her twice a day and my step dad was also feeding her (they didn't know eachother was feeding) so I just assumed she was being overfed and was just bloated or constipated. I went about 2 days without feeding her hoping that she would pass whatever was in her belly but nothing happened. She has a GREAT appetite but she doesn't move too well. She swims to the top to get food and will swim around but then just "sits" on the bottom.

I noticed that just ONE SIDE of her belly is HUGE it's like she swallowed a bead or something and it's just sitting on one side of her. We looked at her from above and she's not pine-coning atleast from what we can see.

I'm not really knowledgable on PH and all that stuff. She's in a 1 gallon tank, she has an airpump but not filter. I change her tank whenever...there's no real rhyme or reason to when I change it. I know that's bad (from what I've read) She's never had algae problem or any other gross stuff in her tank so I'm not sure what's going on.

She also lives alone and has never been with other fish (while I've had her). I worked at Walmart and someone brought her back with another fish saying they were "dying" because they weren't eating. She seemed fine to me and policy at walmart is to flush them even if they are alive if they've been brought back. I couldn't do it so I bought her for half price and got her a tank and brought her ...have had her ever since.

Here are a few pictures...maybe you can give me some ideas as to what her problem is...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...a/Betta003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...a/Betta014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...a/Betta013.jpg

Thank you
Ericka

Lupin 11-24-2007 08:20 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com, Ericka.:wave:

Ericka, I think you have a similar situation as our fellow member.:?
http://fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11166

What are your water parameters? You can use API liquid test kit for accurate results.:) Check ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. How often do you change your water and how much?

reeeeka 11-24-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Welcome to Fishforum.com, Ericka.:wave:

Ericka, I think you have a similar situation as our fellow member.:?
http://fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11166

What are your water parameters? You can use API liquid test kit for accurate results.:) Check ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. How often do you change your water and how much?

Thank you.

Yeah I read that one but the stomach looks different. My bettas is more on the left side then under the stomach so I thought maybe it was something different.

I'm not too sure what parameters are... or API liquid test kit is...sorry. I don't really keep track of how often I clean her tank. It's kind random...whenever I have time or I see food below her rocks. I'm getting the feeling that that is REALLY not a good idea. When I change her tank I usually clean it completely out...wash all the rocks with hot water and the plant and wash the tank out with hot water. :?

Lupin 11-24-2007 08:43 PM

Hi Ericka.

I think you might want to change your tank maintenance schedule.:) I would do 20-30% water change twice a week. It's only partial so there is no need to clean out everything. You could try operating a sponge filter which can be connected with an airpump so you have filtration for your betta. For future reference, use only salt and warm water (but not hot) when cleaning all your decorations but it is not recommended anyway unless you have a mass outbreak of algae or other contaminants deemed harmful for the fish.

You need to invest in a liquid test kit so you will know if something is wrong with your water. There are details found in a sticky thread by fish_4_all about cycling. It'll help you understand about nitrogen cycle. In the end, you should expect zero ammonia and nitrites as both are toxic to the fish. Nitrates must be kept under 40 as well. On the final note here, avoid test strips which may be misleading for the most part.

In response to your betta's situation, have you tried epsom salts (magnesium sulfates) yet? If not, try to dose a teaspoon per 4-5 gallons.

marinebiologist21 11-25-2007 12:06 PM

If none of what Lupin says works, try peeling and chopping up into tiny bits some green peas and feed it to your betta.

Do you use a water conditioner?
Is there anything he might've swallowed, mistaking it for food?

reeeeka 11-25-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Hi Ericka.

I think you might want to change your tank maintenance schedule.:) I would do 20-30% water change twice a week. It's only partial so there is no need to clean out everything. You could try operating a sponge filter which can be connected with an airpump so you have <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('Process of removing waste material from the tank water to prevent pollution')">filtration</span> for your betta. For future reference, use only salt and warm water (but not hot) when cleaning all your decorations but it is not recommended anyway unless you have a mass outbreak of algae or other contaminants deemed harmful for the fish.

You need to invest in a liquid test kit so you will know if something is wrong with your water. There are details found in a sticky thread by fish_4_all about cycling. It'll help you understand about nitrogen cycle. In the end, you should expect zero ammonia and nitrites as both are toxic to the fish. Nitrates must be kept under 40 as well. On the final note here, avoid test strips which may be misleading for the most part.

In response to your betta's situation, have you tried epsom salts (magnesium sulfates) yet? If not, try to dose a teaspoon per 4-5 gallons.

I'm always scared I'm going to stress them out so much so that they'll die if I clean it so often. It seems like they get all stressed out when you put things in their tank and disrupt their routine. I guess I was wrong and I will start a regular schedual of cleaning.

I got some Quick Dip test strips and tested bettas tank.

Nitrate NO+3 = 20 (Safe)
Nitrate NO-2 = 0 (Safe)
Total Hardness GH= 0 (Very soft)
Total Alkalinity KH = 0 (Low)
PH = 6.2 (Acidic)

If this matters at all...I don't use tap water when I change the tank. I use bottled water. :?

I'm not sure what ANY of that means so I guess I'll wait on your response to see what your thoughts are.

In regards to the epsom salt how much do I put? The tank is 1 gallon...

Thanks for the help :D

reeeeka 11-25-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinebiologist21
If none of what Lupin says works, try peeling and chopping up into tiny bits some green peas and feed it to your betta.

Do you use a water conditioner?
Is there anything he might've swallowed, mistaking it for food?

If the epsom salt doesn't work I'll for sure try the pea.

No, I use bottled water so I always thought you didn't need any conditioners or water softners.

Nope, the pebbles (as shown in the pictures) are HUGE and would be too hard to swallow. She has one plastic plant in the middle of her tank (as shown in the picture) and that's it...well and the fish lol but nothing that she can eat or that's small enough to eat.

reeeeka 11-25-2007 06:00 PM

BOY OR GIRL

Oh and I've always thought betta was a female...am I right or wrong?

:question:

Any idea?

beetlebz 11-25-2007 09:28 PM

nope, that betta is a chicky :)

reeeeka 11-26-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz
nope, that betta is a chicky :)

Thank you! that's what I thought.