Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ammo-carb verses regular carbon for canister filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ammo-carb-verses-regular-carbon-canister-95420/)

CinBos 03-06-2012 10:12 PM

Ammo-carb verses regular carbon for canister filter?

Ehat do you all think? Ever used it?
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 03-06-2012 11:18 PM

I know ammo car helps with what carbon typically helps with, but also help maintain and clear ammonia. Has anyone ever used this, and/or recommend this?
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 03-07-2012 11:59 AM

bump...

Maxillius 03-07-2012 12:22 PM

no I would not advise to use anything that removed ammonia since this can hinder the cycle of bacteria that are already getting rid of your ammonia by starving them

CinBos 03-07-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 1006059)
no I would not advise to use anything that removed ammonia since this can hinder the cycle of bacteria that are already getting rid of your ammonia by starving them

Yeah I agree with that, but do you think it would be ok to use when my tank has cycled and is established?

Maxillius 03-07-2012 01:30 PM

No, I would not, as I stated a tank is established when there is enough bacteria for the amount of ammonia released to be completely changed in nitrite then nitrate ,if the ammonia is then absorb in your product then you starve your bacteria then they die and you will most likely have a mini cycle when you remove the product, or maybe a full cycle, unless you just keep using the product and make sure you change it before you see any spike in ammonia. But then you should not have bothered to cycle the aquarium and just use the product instead. But you know live plant in big quantities will do the same effect, It will absorb all ammonia before it is even noticeable, it also does the same as carbon in filter. will also provide cover and a natural beauty, fish also love it :)

CinBos 03-07-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 1006122)
No, I would not, as I stated a tank is established when there is enough bacteria for the amount of ammonia released to be completely changed in nitrite then nitrate ,if the ammonia is then absorb in your product then you starve your bacteria then they die and you will most likely have a mini cycle when you remove the product, or maybe a full cycle, unless you just keep using the product and make sure you change it before you see any spike in ammonia. But then you should not have bothered to cycle the aquarium and just use the product instead. But you know live plant in big quantities will do the same effect, It will absorb all ammonia before it is even noticeable, it also does the same as carbon in filter. will also provide cover and a natural beauty, fish also love it :)

Appreciate it, i will not use it then.
Posted via Mobile Device