Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   dyed fish at Wal-Mart (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dyed-fish-wal-mart-954/)

Tracy 10-20-2006 04:17 PM

dyed fish at Wal-Mart

I couldn't believe my eyes, but Wal-Mart is selling dyed tetras :x I would never buy one! I won't buy and other fish from Wal-Mart either, but thought I might add that they have big bala sharks for under $4.00, which is amazing. (the store I work at sells the teeny ones for about $6.00)

Rebecca 10-20-2006 07:37 PM

That's horrible! I've actually never seen any dyed fish anywhere. I agree; I also wouldn't buy fish from Wal-Mart. Probably the reason why they are so cheap is because they are the rejects from the fish farms or wherever. :tongue:

Tracy 10-20-2006 08:25 PM

You are probably right about them being rejects; otherwise, how could they afford to sell large balas for so little? Even the ones that are considered 'large' at the lfs i work at, are $12 - $15, and the ones at Wal-Mart were much bigger!

Lupin 10-20-2006 08:36 PM

Stores that are not dedicated will, of course, never sell fish at a high prices as fish shops generally do.:dunno: If those balas are reject, then they could have been deformed or too weak in conditions.

Personally, I won't buy fish that are really cheap until you know they have healthy conditions.

bettababy 10-23-2006 01:53 AM

Keep in mind that places like Walmart don't spend the money on their fish the way any LFS usually will. Many Walmart stores don't feed the fish, don't do much, if any maintenance, and don't medicate them, either. Reject or not, they are usually not well cared for animals. The lack of expense on care needs will decrease their price to the consumer.
It's a sad thing, really... places like that should not be stocking or selling live animals of any kind. There are also some pet stores who do the same thing. A friend of mine went to work for a small pet store near her home, and because of her experience and training, was given the job of fish room manager. When she attempted to feed the fish, she got yelled at from the general manager, who informed her that the fish shouldn't be there long enough to need feeding. When a shipment came in sick, she attempted to medicate, and was told her job was on the line because she was spending their money needlessly. She was also reprimanded for adding live plants to the fish tanks, even though she doubled the sales of the plants within 2 wks time of adding them to the tanks. She ended up quitting this job, for many reasons, but especially the way they refused to let her properly care for the fish. The general manager and the owner both agreed that she was doing "too much" for "stupid fish".
Unfortunately, it's out there... in many places. The best thing we can do to help this is to NOT buy animals from places like this.

Tracy 10-24-2006 10:07 PM

That is awful, Dawn. I work part-time at a pet store which sells fish, and although we feed them, no one does anything to make the tanks look more attractive, and there are about 80 tanks which are about 15 gallons each, apparently the 'system' is 'broken' and we are not allowed to gravel-vac the tanks. I even told the manager that I would work a night shift, for free, if i was allowed to gravel-vac all the aquariums, add some more gravel to anchor the plants properly, and make the whole aquarium section of the store look more attractive. :( And if we have an ich outbreak, all we use is salt.