Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water changing methods (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-changing-methods-95390/)

CinBos 03-06-2012 04:21 PM

Water changing methods

What is the best way?

Just confused on how and when I should declorinate the water and also had the aquarium salt needed.

dmuddle 03-06-2012 04:23 PM

I just take out the water with a suction vac. And add everything all together

CinBos 03-06-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuddle (Post 1005153)
I just take out the water with a suction vac. And add everything all together

Well I have a 125 gal aquarium. So clean the gravel with gravel vac and that will take out the water. Can I add a declorinate into the tank itself, or do I really have to ad. the declorinate in the new water seperate from the tank?

I was told I can add declorinate straight into the tank, thats why I ask. Also when I do water changes, do I also have the add more aquarium salt?

Jester10 03-06-2012 04:53 PM

This is only my two cents but here is my opinion. When changing water I would add anything the water needs seperatly as to not introduce anything harmful to the fish or plants. This I would think also gives you some more control as to what is going into the tank as opposed to just dumping and hoping it goes well. Being a newbie myself I would take and extra time to make sure the water is fish friendly by adding any dechlorinators and salt to the water you are going to introduce to the tank just to be safe.

CinBos 03-06-2012 05:47 PM

What do people do to add their conditioner and aquarium salt for larger tanks, like a 125gal and up?

zof 03-06-2012 06:33 PM

First why are you using salt? Have fish that need it? Most tropical fish do better with out salt in the water. Heres how I change the water in all my tanks;

unplug everything
drain
add fast acting conditioner (I use prime)
get water from faucet the right temp
turn on the python and let it fill
plug everything back in

No sense going crazy about the water change I know a few other members on this site that use the same method and we have never had issues doing this.

Byron 03-06-2012 07:15 PM

With small tanks, say 20g and under, it is easiest to use a pail when water changing and obviously you can condition the water in the pail before adding it to the tank. The reason i say this is because using the Python mentioned below does mean water is entering the tank fairly rapidly, and it is easy to overfill small tanks, and water everywhere is a mess.

Larger tanks and especially a 125g is easiest with a "python" hose that connects to the faucet. When refilling the tank, get the water the approximate temperature and then switch the valve to fill the tank. Squirt the conditioner in the tank when you start, or just before. Dechlorinators work instantly.

On the salt, don't use it, unless you have a brackish water tank.

Byron.

CinBos 03-06-2012 10:02 PM

So I am able to add the conditioner to the tank with the fish in it?

Also, do I need to add the amount of conditioner equivalent to the water i took out and added back in?
Posted via Mobile Device

dmuddle 03-06-2012 10:10 PM

I would say find a method that suits your fish. Thats how I go about this sort of thing, if it suits my fish it suits me

CinBos 03-06-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuddle (Post 1005595)
I would say find a method that suits your fish. Thats how I go about this sort of thing, if it suits my fish it suits me

I definetly agree, there will be alot of self routine to this whole fish keeping thing. But I also do not want to harm my fish in any way, which is why I want to know the best methods.
Posted via Mobile Device