Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Panty Hose and Carbon for Canister (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/panty-hose-carbon-canister-95378/)

CinBos 03-06-2012 03:40 PM

Panty Hose and Carbon for Canister
 
I was told by a LFS associate that I could just by the carbon from the store and buy cheap panty hose and bag the carbon in it. Has anyone heard of this?

Tazman 03-06-2012 03:50 PM

It works if you cannot find the mesh filter media bags and sometimes works out cheaper.

They can also be cut so you get a few bags out of a pair of them.

CinBos 03-06-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1005052)
It works if you cannot find the mesh filter media bags and sometimes works out cheaper.

They can also be cut so you get a few bags out of a pair of them.

So your saying I should really go with the mesh bags instead. I just figured panty hose would be cheaper. Also can I subsitute different filters in a Marineland c-530, or should I get the exact ones the canister requires?

What I'm talking about: Filter foam, and polishing filter pads. Canister Filter Media | Marineland C-Series Filter Refills

CinBos 03-15-2012 01:29 AM

Bump...
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 03-15-2012 05:29 AM

Carbon is only really needed if you want to remove meds. from the water. It's a good idea to have some on hand if you ever have to do that but not necessary in your filter otherwise.

CinBos 03-15-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1014094)
Carbon is only really needed if you want to remove meds. from the water. It's a good idea to have some on hand if you ever have to do that but not necessary in your filter otherwise.

Does it not help with odor and clear up the water?

Egrant 03-15-2012 11:31 AM

Hey dude, check out these two threds Ii just got done with. learned a whole lot. What i decided to do was get the Blend Premium Carbon Ammonia Neutralizing Blend for about the first motnh. after that Ii will be useing Seachem Purigen. Hope this helps.


http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-carbon-96006/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...val-fx5-96002/

CinBos 03-15-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egrant (Post 1014229)
Hey dude, check out these two threds Ii just got done with. learned a whole lot. What i decided to do was get the Blend Premium Carbon Ammonia Neutralizing Blend for about the first motnh. after that Ii will be useing Seachem Purigen. Hope this helps.


http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-carbon-96006/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...val-fx5-96002/

Appreciate it bro!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2