Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants failing... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-failing-95368/)

Jill90 03-06-2012 12:39 PM

Plants failing...

I have been having so much trouble with my plants. I finally thought that I was doing well.
My tank is 36 gallons. I have an onion plant, java fern, amazon sword, anubius, and a few others. I put fertilizer in my tank every week. I even bough ecocomplete and planted my plants into that. I have 4 18W daylight bulbs over the tank. My plants have never strived, but they did ok. Occasionally some will turn brown and fall off but they seemed to be doing well. All of my water parameters or normal and I keep my light on for at least 8 hours a day.
Last week I did a my usual 50% water change but then planted 10 root tabs throughout the tank. Now today my amazon sword has turned yellow, brown and clear and some of the leaves have fallen off. The tips of my onion plant are turning yellow and are falling off. Even my anubius is turning yellow and I can see it melting on the bottom. What is going on?? I feel like I have done so much to help the plants grow but I just cant keep them in good shape. I don't see how the root tabs would make the plants do this. I seriously want to just give up because I have been working on this for so long and spent so much money, time and effort into this. And I really don't want to go back to ugly plastic plants. So please help? Suggestions? Thanks!

Wildlander 03-06-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill90 (Post 1004930)
. I have 4 18W daylight bulbs over the tank. My plants have never strived, but they did ok. Occasionally some will turn brown and fall off but they seemed to be doing well. All of my water parameters or normal and I keep my light on for at least 8 hours a day.

Keep the light on for at least 12 hours (get a automatic timer). Most aqua plants are from near the equator in tropical regions where the days are closer to 12 hours year around. It you need to emulate the plants natural environment.

What kind of bulbs (tube, cfl, incadescent) and how close are they to the waters surface. Get the ratings of the bulbs and report them here. I need to know the K temperature range and the type of light (warm, cool, etc).

It is likely there is not enough light. And or not enough of the right kind of light. And/or not enough photoperiod (12 hrs). Look for high K and blue light ratings (600+nm). red is ok but mainly for stimulating flowering, you want blue that stimulates green leaf development.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-06-2012 05:58 PM

idk how true this is but i have been told if you plant the anabius in the soil covering the (rhizomes) it will kill your plant. you can only plant them 50% at most in the soil. correct me if i am wrong on that one.

lorax84 03-06-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildlander (Post 1005120)
Keep the light on for at least 12 hours (get a automatic timer). Most aqua plants are from near the equator in tropical regions where the days are closer to 12 hours year around. It you need to emulate the plants natural environment.

Maybe my experience is different from yours, but I have never had the lights in my planted tank on for longer than 10 hours a day. Usually my lights are on for 8hrs and I have lush green growth. Most planted tank enthusiasts I know run their lights for 8-10hrs.

Jill90 03-06-2012 06:07 PM

I have two of these right over my tank
AqueonŽ Freshwater T5 Light Fixture - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart
I switched out the colormax for 6,700k so I have four 18w bulbs that are 6,700k. And I usually have my light on for at least 8 hours and they have always done ok up until a few days ago when I planted the root tabs and did a water change.
Oh and the rhizomes are not planted either :/

Quantum 03-06-2012 06:24 PM

one of those fixtures should be plenty of light for the plants listed, so it seems to me like something else is going on, likely nutrient related

lorax84 03-06-2012 06:27 PM

If I had to guess I would say you probably burnt the roots of your sword with all the root tabs. None of the other plants you listed draw nutrients from the soil (although I don't know much about onion plants), and even if they did the eco complete would give them what they need. You may also want to consider replacing one 6700K bulb in each fixture with a 10000k. I run dual lamp T5HO fixtures with one 6500k and one 10000k lamp and get really good growth out of all my plants.

Byron 03-06-2012 06:49 PM

Quantum, are these NO or HO? I believe from the other thread you know this?

Jill90: By "two of these" do you mean two fixtures, totalling 4 tubes, or one fixture with two tubes? Just to clear that up.

And can you tell us which fertilizer you are adding weekly, and how much? I am assuming this is a liquid. The root tabs are something else--but what brand are they?

A photo would help too.

Byron.

Quantum 03-06-2012 07:32 PM

Yes, these are the dual 30" tube normal output T5s

Jill90 03-06-2012 07:34 PM

By two of these I meant two fixtures. So I have two bulbs in each equaling four bulbs all together. And I'm adding the Flourish liquid comprehensive each week. I think its around 1.2ml each week since the bottle says 5ml for every 60 gallons. The root tabs were Seachem Flourish Tabs