Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Ornate Tetra Help Please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/ornate-tetra-help-please-95363/)

jjchmiel78 03-06-2012 11:45 AM

Ornate Tetra Help Please

Last September I bought 10 Ornate tetras for my 30 gallon live plant tank. I lost one during the transfer from LFS to home and then lost another from jumping out of the tank right before Christmas. Two weeks ago I moved 5 cardinal tetras out to my 120 gallon tank and did a water change. I do my water changes every week at 25% wit RO water. I use Kent RO right and have PH at 6.8, KH at 2 degrees and GH at 4 degrees. I also add Seachem Flourish and Excel for the live plants in the tank. Current tank mates include Rummynose Tetras and Siamese Algae Eaters. My problem is after I moved the Cardinals out and the water change I lost 2 Ornate Tetras the next day. Rest were fine after that until I did my weekly water change on Sunday. I came home last night and two more were dead. Nitrite/Nitrate and ammonia tests were zero. I have not lost a single Rummy Nose or Siamese Algae eater and the Cardinals I moved to the 120 are doing fine with Columbian Tetras, Discus, and Zebra Plecos. I see no spots on the body, fins are intact, no other markings or anything to give me a clue what is going on. You think they may be just ending natural lifespan? Any ideas for me to research or give me a clue would be helpful. Thank You

Byron 03-06-2012 12:00 PM

This is difficult, since other fish in the tank which are just as sensitive are not being affected. The Ornate Tetra I assume is Hyphessobrycon bentosi, in our profiles I used the common name Roberts Tetra [click on the shaded name to see the profile with photos]. Hemigrammus bleheri (Rummynose) are also sensitive and presumably would have shown issues if it was something with the water parameters/conditions.

The Siamese Algae Eater is perhaps a problem though; have you ever noticed this fish chasing any of the others? You would have to sit quietly in front of the tank for up to an hour or more to observe possible behaviours you won't see if you are moving around in front of them. The SAE can go after smaller fish. And being a shoaling fish, it should be in a group; often such fish will get nasty if they are alone. It is also going to get too large to be comfortable in a 30g.

Byron.

jjchmiel78 03-06-2012 12:44 PM

Yes the species are correct. I have never had SAE before but the LFS suggested for the beard algae on my Anubias. Algae for the most part is now gone, they have noticeably grown over the last two months. The two of them are still only slightly longer than my Rummy Nose Tetras and none of the fish seem to show fear around them. Like I said from inspecting the bodies, no chunks parts, marks or fin damage. Maybe I can find somebody locally that would like them or trade them in for store credit. I do not want to move them in with my Discus and Zebra Plecos I have in the 120.