Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New aquarium help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-aquarium-help-95273/)

slojko 03-05-2012 04:30 PM

New aquarium help
 
i just got a 10 gallon tank and i have 5 fish in there.

2x Angel fish
2x Glofish
1 silver tipped shark

when i woke up this morning the water was a little cloudy. is that bad?
i put the angel fish and shark in yesterday and put the 2 glowfish in today

the temperature is just about 80 degrees.

i have a airstone and filter but the shark keeps swimming to the surface.

please tell me if i am doing anything wrong because this is my first fish tank and i dont want them to die.

thanks!

fishtank - Imgur

EDIT: ever since i turned my light off the angel fish are going to the surface as well.

Exterrestrial 03-05-2012 05:25 PM

Is your tank cycled?
Whats the parameters?

Your angelfish and shark will out grow the tank. If you want them housed together I'd recommend 75g or larger.

slojko 03-05-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exterrestrial (Post 1004013)
Is your tank cycled?
Whats the parameters?

Your angelfish and shark will out grow the tank. If you want them housed together I'd recommend 75g or larger.

would 55 gallon work? 75 is quite large and expensive.
i didn't cycle my tank before i put the fish in, i placed them in only after i added in the recommended amount of water conditioner.

i wont have any Ph levels until tomorrow i forgot to buy one.

angel fish are back to normal but the shark really wants to get out, it wont stop swimming up and down in the corner

thanks!

Exterrestrial 03-06-2012 08:02 AM

Most of them time, the fish will die if the tank is not cycled. You cycle a tank in order to get some "Good Bacteria" in there. Without it, fish die.

Most fish stores sell a bacteria starter. It's usually a liquid and will say "Good Bacteria" or " Bacteria Starter" Something alone those lines. It just adds good bacteria in your tank, but your fish could still die.

Angelfish are best kept in groups. 6-8. They can be kept in two if they are a mated pair.

A min tank size for your shark, some people say 75g. some say 100g. They can grow up to 24 inches.

Geomancer 03-06-2012 09:39 AM

A group of Angels would be okay in a 55g, but they alone would pretty much stock it by themselves.

Two can only be kept if a mated pair, as already said. They have to be acquired as one, you can't just buy a male and female and gamble that they will become a mated pair, plus it isn't possible usually to sex juveniles anyways.

A fish-in cycle is very difficult. You need a water conditioner that will detoxify ammonia and nitrite, Prime is an example, and you must do water changes every other day to keep both Ammonia and Nitrite as low as possible.

Read this article for an explanation about the cycling process. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

slojko 03-06-2012 10:01 AM

Thanks, I bought a 55 gallon so im probably going to release my shark in a pond and keep the angel fish and glofish
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 03-06-2012 11:12 AM

Glofish are schooling also and need a group of a minimum 6 ... I'm not sure on their adult size, you may want to look into that. If they stay small (like neon tetra size) they'll become food to the Angels.

I would not release the shark into a pond, it's a very bad idea to release non-indigenous species into the wild and in many cases is illegal (and for good reason).

slojko 03-06-2012 11:32 AM

The glofish are bigger and at petsmart they recommend 3, should I get more? They are the size of a small angel.

Is there a better place for it or should I bring it back to petsmart?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 03-06-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slojko (Post 1004880)
The glofish are bigger and at petsmart they recommend 3, should I get more? They are the size of a small angel.

Is there a better place for it or should I bring it back to petsmart?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you are going to have angelfish in the 55g, be careful what fish you put with them. Glofish are not advisable.

The cycling issue is going to become serious, and another member already gave you the link for that.

We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top, and each profile contains information on tank size, numbers of fish in the group, water parameters, compatibility issues, etc. Check out the angelfish, Scalare Angelfish you can click on the shaded name to see the profile. Glofish are actually modified forms of the Zebra Danio, not a good match with angelfish.

And, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.

slojko 03-06-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1004889)
If you are going to have angelfish in the 55g, be careful what fish you put with them. Glofish are not advisable.

The cycling issue is going to become serious, and another member already gave you the link for that.

We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top, and each profile contains information on tank size, numbers of fish in the group, water parameters, compatibility issues, etc. Check out the angelfish, Scalare Angelfish you can click on the shaded name to see the profile. Glofish are actually modified forms of the Zebra Danio, not a good match with angelfish.

And, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.

hey i just got my tank in and im going to fill it tomorrow. im using the shrimp method. if im getting this right i put the shrimp in a mesh bag and then leave them in the tank until the PH comes up normal?


my tank is acrylic, it looks bigger than 55 gallons but im not sure.

new tank - Imgur

i have a fluval 4 plus and a heater, is there anything else i should buy before starting the cycle?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2