Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Best filter for 50 Gallon (FW) tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/best-filter-50-gallon-fw-tank-95200/)

AndrewM21 03-04-2012 08:37 PM

Best filter for 50 Gallon (FW) tank
 
Hi Guy's,

I have a 50 Gallon freshwater tank and I was just wondering what is a decent filter that the community recommends?

I'm currently using a AquaClear 110 Power Filter.

AbbeysDad 03-07-2012 11:37 AM

You already have one of the best, why are you asking?

AndrewM21 03-07-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 1006024)
You already have one of the best, why are you asking?

Just making sure :)

JouteiMike 03-08-2012 06:02 PM

I definitely agree. Aquaclear 100 is one of my favorite HOB power filters! Perfect for a 50 gallon. Also, two Whisper 40s could be a nice set up too.

AndrewM21 03-08-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JouteiMike (Post 1007465)
I definitely agree. Aquaclear 100 is one of my favorite HOB power filters! Perfect for a 50 gallon. Also, two Whisper 40s could be a nice set up too.

Any thoughts about the Cascade 300?

JouteiMike 03-08-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1007551)
Any thoughts about the Cascade 300?

Well the Penn Plax cascade 300 is a decent power filter in itself, but it pales in comparison to the 110 in my opinion. The 110 is a lot easier to maintain, and is more powerful in terms of GPH filtered, and most importantly, the 110 is bigger so it contains more filter media, and more area for biological filtration. The one thing the 300 has is that it's cheaper than the 110!

I mean I've heard decent things about Penn Plax, and I have seen them in action, but never used one myself though. I've always stuck with whisper, aquaclear, fluval, and eheim as brands for filters personally. Are you thinking of getting a 300 for another tank?

AndrewM21 03-08-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JouteiMike (Post 1007572)
Well the Penn Plax cascade 300 is a decent power filter in itself, but it pales in comparison to the 110 in my opinion. The 110 is a lot easier to maintain, and is more powerful in terms of GPH filtered, and most importantly, the 110 is bigger so it contains more filter media, and more area for biological filtration. The one thing the 300 has is that it's cheaper than the 110!

I mean I've heard decent things about Penn Plax, and I have seen them in action, but never used one myself though. I've always stuck with whisper, aquaclear, fluval, and eheim as brands for filters personally. Are you thinking of getting a 300 for another tank?

Well the reason I ask is because my 50G tank came with a Cascade 300 and I haven't yet used it since I swapped over my AquaClear in order to retain the beneficial bacteria.

Would it make a difference if I can them along side each other or would it just be pointless and not really matter?

JouteiMike 03-09-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1007632)
Well the reason I ask is because my 50G tank came with a Cascade 300 and I haven't yet used it since I swapped over my AquaClear in order to retain the beneficial bacteria.

Would it make a difference if I can them along side each other or would it just be pointless and not really matter?

You mean like set up the 300 on the 50g tank and have both the 300 and 110 running simultaneously? I see nothing wrong with that; other than the water may be a little turbulent - the 110 is definitely sufficient for the 50g and both may be overkill.

Are you ever planning to have a second tank? I like the idea of having more than one filter in tanks, because if you ever set up a new tank, you can use one of the established filters, in addition to water, and some substrate, and the tank is nearly instantly cycled.

AndrewM21 03-09-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JouteiMike (Post 1008262)
You mean like set up the 300 on the 50g tank and have both the 300 and 110 running simultaneously? I see nothing wrong with that; other than the water may be a little turbulent - the 110 is definitely sufficient for the 50g and both may be overkill.

Are you ever planning to have a second tank? I like the idea of having more than one filter in tanks, because if you ever set up a new tank, you can use one of the established filters, in addition to water, and some substrate, and the tank is nearly instantly cycled.

Yup I am, I'm going to get a 75G tank to swap my 50G community tank too when my sharks & loaches require it. Then if I just swap the 110 over to the 75G it should contain enough bacteria to cycle it in no time (this is what I did with both my 20G and 10G tanks). I'll likely leave the Cascade 300 on the 50G afterwards and use it as a chiclid tank (not sure yet).

JouteiMike 03-11-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1008347)
Yup I am, I'm going to get a 75G tank to swap my 50G community tank too when my sharks & loaches require it. Then if I just swap the 110 over to the 75G it should contain enough bacteria to cycle it in no time (this is what I did with both my 20G and 10G tanks). I'll likely leave the Cascade 300 on the 50G afterwards and use it as a chiclid tank (not sure yet).

Nice! Sounds like a good plan!

This is the exact reason why I love having multiple smaller filters, as opposed to big, bulky canisters (not to bash those bucket sized canisters, they really are great!). But they are so much more versatile and quick to relocate.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2