Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   What is this rescued fish? Help ASAP! Pics inside.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/what-rescued-fish-help-asap-pics-95176/)

Punki 03-04-2012 06:52 PM

What is this rescued fish? Help ASAP! Pics inside..

Okay, so basically my grandma rents places out, and this lady ditched out and left a fish in a nasty tank filled with brown water and snails for a week without food and im sure much longer without a water change. Today, a week later, they go in to clean it and find this fish in its nasty stuff and they figure who better to give it to then me aka family fish girl LOL! But i know alot about Bettas....Not other types, and i got no idea what this is. Its tiny and pretty and underweight im sure, and its a bit raggedy but i cleaned its tank, put fresh water in and prime and im just unsure if it needs heat or an airstone or what... I tried to get pics of it but its fast, i hope someone knows.

CAangels16 03-04-2012 07:06 PM

This looks like a dalmation molly. It will need heat, around 78-80 will be good. They not require an air stone if you have good surface aggitaion, but if you don't then you might want to get one. Mollies are omnivores, so they will eat meaty foods and plants and algae.

Punki 03-04-2012 07:17 PM

Oh great news then. I googled it and yep it looks like a very thin version of a dalmation Molly. I already have heaters and betta food which is high in protein to use for now.

CAangels16 03-04-2012 07:27 PM

They prefer a ph of 7 or a tiny bit higher, I have several mollies and they absolutely love to eat bloodworms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. They also like a lot of hiding places so plants whether they be real or fake would be a great idea if you don't already have them.

It sounds like this fish go lucky and found a good home :)

Punki 03-04-2012 07:35 PM

Ohh then my PH is good also. And i have bloodworms also. Seems Molly fish are similar to bettas in care at least :) I have a tank of betta fry that i bred 5 months ago. They all ended up being female and have remained peaceful with each other. They are the same size as the molly currently, maybe fatter, but same length. You wouldnt happen to know if a Molly would interact well with a group of female betta sisters would you? lol. If not, its already got a home, but itd be nice to save space in the long run if its not showing any signs of sickness in a couple of weeks.

Punki 03-04-2012 07:37 PM

Oh and one more thing, it says they prefer brackish water... Would an indian almond leaf be good?

CAangels16 03-04-2012 07:47 PM

I wouldn't mix the bettas with the molly because they might nip at it's fin.
They will be happy in freshwater or brackish water. I would keep it in freshwater because it leaves your options open if you want to add any other fish or plants.
I don't really have experience or too much knowledge with indian almond leaves, but based off of what I do know it seems like it would be a fine idea. It will turn the water a murkey color (which the fish actually like) and it will also alter the water chemistry, so just make sure you are not adding too much.