Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Questions about cycling... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/questions-about-cycling-9514/)

Lindsey88 11-23-2007 12:04 AM

Questions about cycling...

I aquired a aquarium from a friend. She gave me her 10 gallon tank including decorations, rocks, filter, heater, and fake plants. I set it up and it has been running since Monday. I was planning on getting a couple of Zebra danios for Cycling, and after that a couple of cory cats, some platys and a dwarf gourami and maybe even a few shrimp. Is this an ok number for this size tank? And how long should it take to cycle since it was already used before I had it? Thank you for any help!

Lupin 11-23-2007 12:17 AM

Re: Questions about cycling...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey88
I aquired a aquarium from a friend. She gave me her 10 gallon tank including decorations, rocks, filter, heater, and fake plants. I set it up and it has been running since Monday. I was planning on getting a couple of Zebra danios for Cycling, and after that a couple of cory cats, some platys and a dwarf gourami and maybe even a few shrimp. Is this an ok number for this size tank? And how long should it take to cycle since it was already used before I had it? Thank you for any help!

Welcome to Fishforum.com, Lindsey.:wave:

The only corydoras I would suggest are the dwarf species such as Corydoras pygmaeus. You might want to wait for a month or two before trying to add them. What substrate do you use? Sand would be the best for them.

Stick to 2-3 females per male when keeping platies. The downside is they reproduce too fast so your option is to either sell the fry or feed them to your fish. No need to rescue them. Also, I would suggest using the platies instead of zebra danios to cycle the tank. Zebra danios like plenty of swimming space and a 10g just do not fit the bill. Besides, these are schooling fish and best kept at 5 or more. Fishless cycling is even better. Just make sure ammonia and nitrites will not exceed 1 ppm if you wish to use fish so stress will be minimized. API liquid test kit is recommended for accurate results of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH.

As for the dwarf gourami, I would just a note that most of these are hormone-pumped so these are not expected to last very long. You could however try sparkling gouramis, croaking gouramis or honey gouramis.

The tank is best planted with live plants rather than fake. Besides plants help eliminate nitrates which could result to stunted growth. Weekly water changes by 30-40% will suffice. There are plants that are undemanding and could be your best options to start with. Elodea densa and Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana) are a few I can mention.

Lindsey88 11-23-2007 12:44 AM

Thank you so much for the welcome and helpful advice!

So Dwarf Gouramis aren't a good choice? That is too bad because they are so beautiful and I was looking forward to having them in my tank. Are there any other small colorful fish that would go well in my tank and not be large enough to eat ghost shrimp? I will skip out on the zebra danios I was just going to use them because most websites said they were the best to use for cycling. I will look into the live plants. They would probably make my tank more beautiful than fake plants could.

Lupin 11-23-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

So Dwarf Gouramis aren't a good choice? That is too bad because they are so beautiful and I was looking forward to having them in my tank.

Hi Lindsey.

There has been too many complaints flying around about dwarf gouramis falling ill and eventually dying. The problem is that a lot of fish farms in Asia (I live in Asia myself) feed them with foods containing hormones to achieve their goal of getting more males than females as the demand for males is very high. Not many people realize female dwarf gouramis are silvery in color hence the demand is not all that high at all. Even my lfs complained about their longetivity and kept ranting about their losses on this fish.

Honey gouramis aren't that bad at all. Neither are sparkling gouramis and croaking gouramis.

Quote:

Are there any other small colorful fish that would go well in my tank and not be large enough to eat ghost shrimp?
This is a very difficult question. Not all fish will leave the shrimps alone especially in their molting stage and then you have to be careful as I've heard before of shrimps attacking small fish, most especially Amano shrimps but I've yet to see this done but then again, our experiences vary.
Quote:

I will look into the live plants. They would probably make my tank more beautiful than fake plants could.
Glad you are beginning to appreciate them.:mrgreen: You could try researching deeper into aquatic gardening and choose which plants are to your taste. A larger tank, of course, widens your selection. Hygrophila is one of the easiest I had kept but can be too big for a 10g unfortunately.

Lindsey88 11-23-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Hi Lindsey.

There has been too many complaints flying around about dwarf gouramis falling ill and eventually dying. The problem is that a lot of fish farms in Asia (I live in Asia myself) feed them with foods containing hormones to achieve their goal of getting more males than females as the demand for males is very high. Not many people realize female dwarf gouramis are silvery in color hence the demand is not all that high at all. Even my lfs complained about their longetivity and kept ranting about their losses on this fish.

Honey gouramis aren't that bad at all. Neither are sparkling gouramis and croaking gouramis.

Is this true in the U.s. as well? I will see if they have those types you mentioned later on when I am ready for them.

Quote:

This is a very difficult question. Not all fish will leave the shrimps alone especially in their molting stage and then you have to be careful as I've heard before of shrimps attacking small fish, most especially Amano shrimps but I've yet to see this done but then again, our experiences vary.
I have read that Ghost shrimp are very gentle and will only eat fish who are already dead. Maybe I will get the biggest ones they have and just try.

Quote:

Glad you are beginning to appreciate them. You could try researching deeper into aquatic gardening and choose which plants are to your taste. A larger tank, of course, widens your selection. Hygrophila is one of the easiest I had kept but can be too big for a 10g unfortunately.
I will research different plants. The only lighting I have is 15 watt bulbs that came with the hood. I would need plants that could live with that.

Thanks for all your help so far!

beetlebz 11-23-2007 06:24 PM

if the shrimp act up you could keep a jar of cocktail sauce next to the tank to remind them where they lie on the food chain :D

personally I LOVE sparkling gouramis, and im not sure where in the US you are but here in connecticut they arent hard to come by at all.

I am glad youre going the planted route. I went plastic to make life easy on me, but recently a buddy of mine went with live plants and now im jealous. some advice, before you decide what plants you want take a trip to the LFS to find out what types of plants are available where you live.

welcome to the forums :)

Lupin 11-23-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Is this true in the U.s. as well? I will see if they have those types you mentioned later on when I am ready for them.

As far as I know, a lot of dwarf gouramis came from fish farms of Southeast Asia so this does not grant US immune from the possibility that dwarf gouramis are not pumped with hormones.

Lindsey88 11-23-2007 06:56 PM

Thank you! I think I have decided on a couple of sparkling gouramis. I hope they have them when I'm ready to get them. And also why should I not get some corys? I really wanted some albino corys because I always had them before and they were my favorites. I will look into the pygmy ones though.

Lupin 11-23-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you! I think I have decided on a couple of sparkling gouramis. I hope they have them when I'm ready to get them. And also why should I not get some corys? I really wanted some albino corys because I always had them before and they were my favorites. I will look into the pygmy ones though.

The cories are sensitive to water conditions and are best added when everything has stabilized for a few weeks.:)

Lindsey88 11-23-2007 07:34 PM

I knew they were best added later but was wondering why you said to not get albino cory cats.