Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Oh, My!!! My GBR (new pair) have eggs!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/oh-my-my-gbr-new-pair-95127/)

GwenInNM 03-04-2012 10:19 AM

Oh, My!!! My GBR (new pair) have eggs!!

They have eggs, and they are wigglers! Unbelievable! Yikes, now what do I do? I put my sponge filter back on the filter intake, to prevent them getting sucked up.

Okay, I have a few hours until LFS opens. Should I get a nursey net? I'm in process of setting up a 5 gallon, and I'm not sure if I should go ahead and put the "lone/left out" female in that? She not being harrassed to any terrible extend, she is kept away though. Will she get killed once and if they hatch? Should I let the parents just raise them by themselves, but get the other female out? The worse part is I've been treating the tank for Ich with Quick Cure, and I still have one spot left on a Cardinal. I'm not sure why they'd have eggs with that going on - ugh! Help!! The tank is only a 30 gallon.

Gwen

ladayen 03-04-2012 11:41 AM

My thoughts would be to leave the tank alone for now. Keep the 5g ready to go but give the parents a chance to raise the fry. Whats the temperature in the tank right now?

GwenInNM 03-04-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 1002588)
My thoughts would be to leave the tank alone for now. Keep the 5g ready to go but give the parents a chance to raise the fry. Whats the temperature in the tank right now?

Thank you!! I'm thinking the same. Leaving it alone, no more meds for now. I won't move the other female out unless they really go after her. The tank is at 87 degrees. Raised it slightly when I got ich, which came from the female that was not chosen as the "mate", and I think the stress of being new and being a bit chased, brought it on. I only see one spot each, left on 2 tetras. I caught it very early, but I still have it :(

Gwen

GwenInNM 03-04-2012 12:27 PM

The eggs have hatched!!

I took a video, working on getting it uploaded. So, far it's not working, so not sure when I'll have that up. The babies are swimming!!! So cool! A bit afraid to watch too much, I don't want to stress parents. Oh, how I wish I didn't have "Quick cure" in the tank right now. I'll stop treatment and I plan on letting the parents raise the babies.

gwen

GwenInNM 03-04-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1002626)
I took a video, working on getting it uploaded. So, far it's not working, so not sure when I'll have that up. The babies are swimming!!! So cool! A bit afraid to watch too much, I don't want to stress parents. Oh, how I wish I didn't have "Quick cure" in the tank right now. I'll stop treatment and I plan on letting the parents raise the babies.

gwen

Well I do have a video of the cute little buggers swimming, and parents keeping them in a small space, but can't upload it :( Hopefully, when my husband is less busy, he'll help me. I will probably start a new post, when I can get it uploaded. So exciting, to see so many fry!

Gwen