Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   picking a new floating plant (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/picking-new-floating-plant-95011/)

beetlebz 03-03-2012 07:42 AM

picking a new floating plant

I have Ceratopteris cornuta in 4 of my tanks, all are doing splendid. Unfortunately, in my 20 long, they are doing too splendid. The roots have grown down like a curtain completely down to the substrate! I dont mind it over the anubias so much, but the wife hates it. Ultimately on the back wall is hornwort and C. thalictroides, both of which will roll over and provide surface cover, but its not there just yet. Are there tricks to keeping the roots short, or should I be grabbing some duckweed or salvinia or something off aquabid?

I do like the look of a floating plant, and franky frogbit is kinda nice looking....

fish monger 03-03-2012 08:33 AM

My problem with water sprite was always not enough roots. Do you have room to plant them ? I always just let the small plants float and planted them as they got bigger. It seems like you eventually have to give them away or throw them away. It's all a matter of taste insofar as what you can use as an alternative. I always liked the very fine leafed plants as floaters.

Inga 03-03-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 1001300)
I have Ceratopteris cornuta in 4 of my tanks, all are doing splendid. Unfortunately, in my 20 long, they are doing too splendid. The roots have grown down like a curtain completely down to the substrate! I dont mind it over the anubias so much, but the wife hates it. Ultimately on the back wall is hornwort and C. thalictroides, both of which will roll over and provide surface cover, but its not there just yet. Are there tricks to keeping the roots short, or should I be grabbing some duckweed or salvinia or something off aquabid?

I do like the look of a floating plant, and franky frogbit is kinda nice looking....

I would love to see a picture of your tank and especially the roots from the Water Sprite. Water Sprite is a fairly new addition to my tank and thus far, it isn't doing much. It had been rooted in another tank and I was wanting to leave it floating.

beetlebz 03-03-2012 10:01 AM

right here, directly over the anubias on the left side, thats the cornuta roots touching the gravel
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...295b8_full.jpg

Inga 03-03-2012 10:10 AM

Wow! Actually I think it looks pretty darn nice. I mean, maybe it looks different in real life then in the picture but... I think it looks great from what I can see.

fish monger 03-03-2012 10:13 AM

I agree with Inga. Looks nice and natural.

Savannah 03-03-2012 10:48 AM

I also have ceratopteris in my 10 gallon and hate the roots to so I just trim them down when they get too long and they seem to be doing fine.

Byron 03-03-2012 12:02 PM

That Ceratopteris is looking very good indeed. That is exactly what you want. Fish will love browsing through those roots.

You can trim them, but that frequently results in a very artificial appearance, unless you painstakingly trim a root at a time to keep a balanced root mass.

If you are getting daughter plants on the floating leaves, pull a few off to start on their own, and when they are a decent size, discard the parent plant. This is how I manage my C. cornuta. I never trim the roots because this is one of the great benefits of this plant, so natural in forest waters.:-)

Byron.

wannalearn 03-03-2012 11:20 PM

how deep can a person realisticaly expect the roots on cornuta to reach..

beetlebz 03-04-2012 07:09 AM

mine are almost a foot long!

Byron, I feel ridiculous. I cant believe I never considered that. Ill try that first.