Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (
-   -   Beautiful Rainbow Fish (

Jester10 03-01-2012 11:16 AM

Beautiful Rainbow Fish
I"ve been looking at this fish to go with angels I plan on getting. Has anyone had any experience housing these fish? They are beautiful

Nothobranchius rachovii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Byron 03-01-2012 11:53 AM

A beautiful fish, but not one recommended for a community aquarium. Best kept on its own in a small tank [more below].

It is very short lived, 7-12 months in an aquarium. In its habitat in Africa it is an annual fish.

This fish is highly prone to a parasitic disease called Velvet. I have twice battled Velvet, and lost fish both times; it is similar to ich but much, much worse. Most recomend adding some salt to the tank to help prevent this, but this is not going to suit your angelfish.

Jester10 03-01-2012 12:02 PM

Awwww =/ o well. A beautiful fish none the less,
Posted via Mobile Device

Maxillius 03-01-2012 03:56 PM

yes I have had these fish in my tank and they sadly did not last very long :( they are not very quick to eat and will only really eat like blood worms and brine shrimps , mine would also always stay in the middle of a plant or in a small cave
they didn't look sick but i had a very hard time to feed them with my black ruby barbs around even with a thing to go and put the food in front of there mouths they would have time to eat one shrimp and the black rubys would eat everything els....
ps : they are also name bleufin notho killifish!