Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   algae problem FIXED!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/algae-problem-fixed-94821/)

Maxillius 02-29-2012 11:37 PM

algae problem FIXED!!

Hello everyone I believe I may have fixed my algae problem! finally! :)
So at first i told myself i bought too much light for a 26 g with a dual 24 inch t5 HO fixture with a 10 k and a life glo in it, but I already had algae problem before I bought it and had a single 15 watt t8 life glo
So at first I had big algae problem with the dual t5 so I bought some floating plants mainly duckweed(that stays in a rather small quantity as my black ruby barbs like to eat it) but I also have dwarf water lettuce wich is already filling up half my tank with half of a hand full. That helped alot but I still had algae growing so I used a technique of leaving some algae growing in my filter(fluval c3)outlet that helped a lot but wasn't very nice. so after i cleaned it up I had the same problem again. so then i remember reading that sunlight even tho small can affect algae growth by being able to photosynthesize while the plants cannot(if aquarium lights aren't on) so what i did last week was to put my light back on 12 hours instead of 8, from 7 am to 7 pm that helped a whole lot
since the plants where able to compete for phosphate against the algae(I guess) but i still had some algae to scrape off and from the side with most sunlight, so what I did Is i went to a webpage that tells me when sunrise and set and now I'm changing my timer so it light up at sunrise(since my window is facing that way)
I clean my aquarium every Sunday and normally by today i can see algae now I only see crystal clear water with no algae growing! And plants are thriving I hope this keeps up !
and sorry for the long story I didn't know how to make my ordeal shorter :P and sorry for the my structuring and mistakes my main language is french and English Is pretty much self thought to me!

Romad 03-01-2012 06:38 AM

I'm glad to hear a success story here. I've been battling the same thing and I think it's exactly the reason that you said about ambient light in the room that my tank is in while the light is off.

I'm going to start trying different times that the light is on. Right now I have the timer set for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night so that I can enjoy the tank at night.

Maxillius 03-01-2012 07:16 AM

Now that is a good idea hehe specially soon since days are getting longer about 3 minutes longer per day right now where I live its pretty intense in just 7 days the sun will rise 15 minute before now , so I will have to put the timer back 15 minutes each week until days start to go shorter hehe

Tazman 03-01-2012 07:46 AM

Tout semble bon, content que vous tout ce qu'il faut trier.
Je vis près de Montréal, environ 45 minutes du centre-ville, à Hudson, QC