Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Good tank mates for a Gray Bichir? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/good-tank-mates-gray-bichir-94811/)

Sanguinefox 02-29-2012 09:48 PM

Good tank mates for a Gray Bichir?

So I've had these three Sarasa Comets for quite a while and it's to the point that they grew faster than I can afford an upgrade(they make too much waste and my tank and two filters can't handle it). So I am taking them to a good pet store to hand them over and let them rehome the pretty things.

So now I am going to look into fish that are smaller but still colorful as good tank mates. I know some other people have these same fish so I'm looking for suggestions. Keep in mind I have a 4 foot long 50 gallon tank. It's a lower light set up. My Gray Bichirs are fully grown. Ideally I want just one fish but I'd be open two getting a pair if they don't grow too big.

dmuddle 02-29-2012 10:29 PM

Considering that they are carnivores i would suppose that they may attack other fish

Tazman 02-29-2012 10:39 PM

what size are your gray birchirs?

Sanguinefox 02-29-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuddle (Post 998777)
Considering that they are carnivores i would suppose that they may attack other fish

They are carnivores yes. However they only go after things that fit in their mouth. So if it's too big they don't bother. Currently they flat out ignore their current tank mates. Course their tank mates are twice their size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 998796)
what size are your gray birchirs?

One of them is slightly longer than the other. I'd roughly put them at around 8 inches for one, and possibly at this point 9 for the other. It's possible over time they will slowly hit a foot long but it doesn't look like they will for a while yet. Both are pretty happy in their tank as of now. They have their own territories and tolerate each other pretty well.

Tazman 02-29-2012 10:42 PM

If they are fully grown then you need to remove them as well.
They are too big for a 50g tank and need a 75g or larger. 90g being better for them.

Tazman 02-29-2012 10:46 PM

See the profile here

Sanguinefox 02-29-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 998801)
If they are fully grown then you need to remove them as well.
They are too big for a 50g tank and need a 75g or larger. 90g being better for them.

I would disagree to some extent. If it were you're regular 50 gallon I'd agree. This 50 gallon is a "long". It's four feet across. It's so big that the Bichirs are kind of dwarfed by it even at their current size. I call them full grown because at this point they don't appear to be gaining any more length even though there is plenty of room in their tank for it. However it is possible their last bit of length will take the longest.

When I can locate a reasonable dealer that isn't charging a ridiculous amount I plan to get at least a 75 gallon "long" but locally I'm having trouble finding a place that carries it. That said for now I'd like to get a small tank mate, that adds color knowing fully well by the end of the year (though probably as soon as within a few months) all of them will be in a much bigger tank. ( I think at this point I'm going to order online, and if you have any suggestions of reputable dealers I'm all ears). I'm not above paying a person to build it either but I have to look at the costs of custom build + materials versus buying it premade.

Tazman 02-29-2012 10:53 PM

Nothing can be smaller than them other than perhaps a JD or small Oscar.

They will will see anything smaller as food and it will be gone quickly.

Sanguinefox 02-29-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 998816)
Nothing can be smaller than them other than perhaps a JD or small Oscar.

They will will see anything smaller as food and it will be gone quickly.

Oh I know this well. Every once in a while I bring home live ghost shrimp. They like to chase them down and gobble them up. But I know some types of fish like plecos are notorious for going after fish like Bichirs and their slime coat. Same for the Chinese Loach.

Tazman 02-29-2012 10:58 PM

Where are you located and I can have a look and see what I can find for you.

You can PM me if you dont want to disclose it in the forum.