Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Zebra Pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/zebra-pleco-94716/)

Jester10 02-28-2012 09:37 PM

Zebra Pleco

Ok I have a chance at a Zebra Pleco. My LFS is getting one just one tomorrow and he only get them every once in a blue moon. Should I go for it?
Posted via Mobile Device

dmuddle 02-28-2012 10:57 PM

definitely, they are one of the most expensive fish that you can get. They are so amazing and if I had the opportunity to get one I would, same with a baby giant gourami if I had a big enough tank.

Jester10 02-28-2012 11:02 PM

The only problem i have with it is its carnivorous and idk how to get food to it since i have mid-level carnivores (4 black phantoms) since i'm only doing one a day feedings atm. I'll also be getting plants in addition to the fish to compensate for the bio load and then some.

Jayy 02-28-2012 11:02 PM

If you can afford it and provide correct care, then I say yes. On a side note I want to add that plecos need driftwood as part of their diet.

dmuddle 02-28-2012 11:04 PM

I say that you get sinking food I get it, you can get sinking meat based products.

Jester10 02-28-2012 11:18 PM

I'm kind of hoping he is getting more than one so i can get a male-female pair and maybe if i'm lucky have them breed and Then sell or just enjoy lots of little swimming zebra's!! =D But alas i'm just a lowly student/customer service clerk.

lorax84 02-28-2012 11:41 PM

If I were you and it's actually a hypancistrus zebra them do it. I have hypancistrus contradens, they are also primarily carnivorous. I feed them NLD large fish formula, earthworm sticks, shrimp pellets, blood worms and other random stuff.

There are a number of fish that are referred to as zebra plecos so make sure you know what you are getting.

Adamson 02-29-2012 12:39 AM

Yeah get it, I wish I had that pleco. How much do they want for it?

1077 02-29-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 997674)
If I were you and it's actually a hypancistrus zebra them do it. I have hypancistrus contradens, they are also primarily carnivorous. I feed them NLD large fish formula, earthworm sticks, shrimp pellets, blood worms and other random stuff.

There are a number of fish that are referred to as zebra plecos so make sure you know what you are getting.

+one,;-)
Would Drip acclimate this fish and provide stable tank rather than new tank ,And some water movement would be appreciated.
Could feed the fish at night after light's have been off for a few hours.
This would bring some security /comfort to the fish while acclimating to new surrounding's.
Would be sure to do sizeable water change after placing plant's if substrate is disturbed to any large degree ,to prevent possible temporary ammonia spike from organics disturbed while planting.

Jester10 02-29-2012 01:27 AM

He said he usually prices them when he does get them, for around $50-$60 very expensive. I think its worth it to have a fish as unquie as it my aquarium. I do need to get him a little half hallow log too call home =D
Posted via Mobile Device