Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Emerald cory, How many? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/emerald-cory-how-many-94609/)

jcngo 02-27-2012 07:52 PM

Emerald cory, How many?

How many Emerald corys should/can I have?

I have a fairly new 20 gal tank that I set up in the beginning of Jan. It has been cycled and I have had fish in it for a few weeks now. When I started buying fish, I made a couple of purchasing mistakes (on questionable advice from the local pet store). I now have 1 black molly, 2 orange platys, (theses are the 3 fish I don't think are compatable with the rest?), 6 neon tetra (had 2; added four more today), and one emerald cory (also added today). And 3 snails.

I just came on the site and saw that it is recommended that the emerald cories live in groups of three or more. Can my tank support this? Can the corys be mix and matched and still feel like a group or do I need all emerald cories to achieve this effect?

Any thoughts on any other types of fish that would do well with the neons and cories?

Thanks!

Inga 02-27-2012 07:55 PM

I think in a tank that size you are pretty full already but... I would definitely get a few more Emerald Cories. Maybe 2-3 more. They do like to have a social group. Do you have live plants in your tank to help with bioload? If not, is that an option? The Cories really like to have plant cover so floating plants would help a lot.

jcngo 02-27-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 996225)
I think in a tank that size you are pretty full already but... I would definitely get a few more Emerald Cories. Maybe 2-3 more. They do like to have a social group. Do you have live plants in your tank to help with bioload? If not, is that an option? The Cories really like to have plant cover so floating plants would help a lot.

I only have fake plants. I have been intimidated to go to real plants as I know nothing about them. Is there a particullar type of floating plant you would recommend? Where would I buy them?

Thanks for the help!

jfengler 02-29-2012 02:26 AM

duckweed, frogbit or watermeal are great for floating plants and they produce fast, usually can get them at your local aquarium or fish store

jcngo 02-29-2012 06:38 AM

Thanks!

Byron 02-29-2012 11:40 AM

Yes on the floating plants, Water Sprite is ideal, also Brazilian Pennywort. Click the shaded names to see the info in our profiles of each.

On the Emerald, I also suggest a group of 3. The social interaction among these fish needs more than one, he may well pine away without company. Good maintenance (weekly water changes), live plants even just floating, will handle this. But you are full then.

There is some confusion among so-called "Emerald" corys. Often they are actually Brochis splendens, not Corydoras aeneus. Click the shaded names to see each profile which will explain the difference. In a 20g you are OK with the larger Brochis, but no more than 3; if they are true Corys, 4-5 is OK.

Byron.

jcngo 02-29-2012 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone. I will go and pick up two more in a couple days. I will also research the plants you all suggested. Thanks for the good addvice.