Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I just made my fish REALLY mad (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-just-made-my-fish-really-94569/)

Inga 02-27-2012 02:53 PM

I just made my fish REALLY mad

I have wanted to do this for so long and up until now I fought the urge. In my 60 gallon tank I have a rainbow shark that resides in this ugly plastic log. He loves it and spends most of his time in the log. It is too big and I hate it. I have wanted to remove it for the longest time but each time I think of how Rainbow shark loves his home and it keeps him calm etc...

Today, I could no longer fight the urge. I have a few more Sword plants I will be moving from one tank to the other and I want them behind the ugly log but it is too big. I took it out and watched for awhile hoping Rainbow would settle down a bit. Nope, he was going nuts and seemed sad so.. I compromised. I cut his log in half and even though it really looks bad from the back now, I am hopeful that once I plant the new rather large Sword plants behind it we can both be happy.

He is still grouchy and it is obvious as though he is in his new downsized apartment, he is shooting out and chasing others away from it now more then he used to. I am sure he will settle in after awhile at least I hope he will. I know it is HIS apartment but I felt so strongly about it that I just couldn't fight the urge anymore. I think he will especially like the new digs once I get the new plants in there. It will be a few more days before I do that. I am not sure if it is the light or the need for privacy that is his issue.

Anyone else have Rainbow sharks? Do yours insist on a space of their own in the tank? Do any of you keep ugly decor because your fish like it? Any compromises on decor for your fish sake?

This is Rainbows ugly log http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...bstrate058.jpg and that would be his tail hanging out. lol

The stench of that log when I took it out... Ugh! It is actually the substrate gas but... I had all I could do to not just stick that thing straight into the waste can outside. ICK!!! He is lucky I love him.

afremont 02-27-2012 03:43 PM

I just relocated my red tailed black shark. He was ok for a long time, but he recently started keeping the cherry barbs cornered up in the top of the tank near one side. Whenever they would stray from the corral, he'd stop his normal algae scan and put them back. Even though he would chase other fish, he never once nipped them that I know of.

I was going to take him to the LFS, but my daughter had a fit. After a few failed attempts, I caught him and put him in a tank twice as big with a dwarf gourami, five serpae tetras and a few danios. He was pretty freaked out at first because he didn't have his old home, so he spent a day or two keeping the tetras up in the corner trying to act tough. The gourami went on like nothing was new and ignored the shark, I think it hurt the sharks ego some. After he found the black log, he claimed it as his own and now everyone is back to doing their normal thing. I'm sure he likes the log way better than the barrel thing he had before since he can turn around in it and stretch out if he wants. The tetras seem to want to try and school with the shark for some reason.

I'll tell you one thing, that shark eats some algae. I had a decoration with a bunch of short green algae on it and he picked it clean within 24 hours. I think he's happier now, but honestly unless he's chasing other fish I don't see that they need all that much room. Most of his time is spent wiggling and slowly moving around scouring the surface of everything for algae.

EDIT for pictures:
Here he is doing what he normally does:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/IMG_1128.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/IMG_1127.jpg

kangy 02-27-2012 03:46 PM

I love your threads :-)

Inga 02-27-2012 09:04 PM

Afremont I wish my guy was a better algae cleaner but even his own house was a stinky mess. Guess Tidy wasn't his thing. On the upside, mine has not ever went after anyone seriously but I have also heard that Rainbows are less aggressive then the Red tail black sharks. Hopefully he never does get aggressive. :|

Quote:

Originally Posted by kangy (Post 995883)
I love your threads :-)

Is this because they are generally based on dorky observations of my fish? ha ha

kangy 02-28-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 996321)
Is this because they are generally based on dorky observations of my fish? ha ha

Yes, and it's always refreshing seeing someone who truly cares about their animals :-D I do the same thing. I got my 2yr old hooked on watching the fish behavior. She knows them all personally.

Inga 02-28-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kangy (Post 996970)
Yes, and it's always refreshing seeing someone who truly cares about their animals :-D I do the same thing. I got my 2yr old hooked on watching the fish behavior. She knows them all personally.

Which might prove my life is boring at this time. ha ha I do know my animals very well though. What is the point of even getting them if you don't intend to spend a great deal of time with them, right?
In my observations, I have observed a strange relationship between Rainbow (the shark) and Bentley the Corie with the bent spine. Rainbow doesn't allow other in his hollow log, he will chase them if they get too close and most of the fish seem to simply respect his space but not Bentley, that fish can go right into the log and will often lay on the substrate right at the open end of the log while Rainbow holds his head out right by him. Could they be friends? Do fish make certain friend? Isn't it odd that the shark chose a Cory to become friends with?

Jayy 02-28-2012 06:20 PM

Nice little story and I like the pic also. How are Rainbow sharks in a community tank? Are they fun to have?

Inga 02-28-2012 06:24 PM

Well some would say they can be quite aggressive though my understanding is that the Rainbow shark is less aggressive then say, the black red tail shark. I have mine in with 18 Cory, 2 Gourami, 5 Angels and 5 Oto's. I have not had any issues but like I said, I have also respected his right to home ownership. It is his house and though I don't care for it, I believe it helps to keep him happy and keep peace in the tank. Also, I wouldn't have them in a tank less then 4 feet long.

Jayy 02-28-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 997242)
Well some would say they can be quite aggressive though my understanding is that the Rainbow shark is less aggressive then say, the black red tail shark. I have mine in with 18 Cory, 2 Gourami, 5 Angels and 5 Oto's. I have not had any issues but like I said, I have also respected his right to home ownership. It is his house and though I don't care for it, I believe it helps to keep him happy and keep peace in the tank. Also, I wouldn't have them in a tank less then 4 feet long.

Ok, thanks.

kangy 02-29-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 997225)
Do fish make certain friend? Isn't it odd that the shark chose a Cory to become friends with?

I think they do, in my 29g with an equal mix of 8 Black Neon Tetra and 8 Harlequin Rasbora I have noticed the rasbora are more "close" while the Tetra seem to be more comfortable spread all over the tank. In that tank I also have 1 Blue Gourami, 3 Giant Danio, and 3 Emerald Catfish. While the Giant Danio's are pending a rehome they pretty much dart around the tank chasing and ramming each other but completely ignore the smaller fish, none of the Tetra or Rasbora seem to be bothered by them, more so they appear to look at them like "why are you so hyper all the time, chill out". The Gourami is very shy if he sees anyone near the tank, he will hide by the heater behind a patch of Crypts, but as soon as he thinks you left he mozies on out and slowly pecks at the floating plants. The rest of the community seem to respect him and move out of the way for him. I have never seen any aggression from him, probably because the fish give him his space. The catfish are usually hanging out very close to each other and seem to team up on the food scavenge, when one finds food the rest come over and they all share it. Are they working together? Oh I have 10 ghost shrimp that like to swim around the tank, they will bump into the other fish once in a while, which appears to startle the fish because any of them (tetra/rasbora/gourami/danio) will jump back, look at the shrimp briefly like saying "watch out knucklehead" then carry on in the other direction. The shrimp will also steal food right from the mouths of the other fish, swim away quickly to a crack in the driftwood where a few others will join in for the feast. Either they have giant balls or have gotten too comfortable with the "larger" fish giving them right away.

Oh 3 of the ghost shrimp were packing around eggs, one day the eggs were gone and I saw about 20 baby shrimp just hanging around the tank, a few just free swimming like "hey world what's up I'm a baby shrimp wanna play?" They were not being bothered. Then in my sleep deprived absent mindedness (3 week old baby, work travel, and a 2yr old make me into a space cadet sometimes) I fed the tank brine shrimp then did a water change without thinking about the shrimp fry. I have only seen a couple since then, I dread I siphoned up most of them or they got munched on in the feeding frenzy (my tank LOVES frozen brine shrimp and especially bloodworms). I felt horrible the last couple days about it, almost to the point of getting another 10g and trying to hunt down the remaining fry but once I got the look from she who must be obeyed and realized that finding them let alone catching them was probably not going to happen I let that idea go (I just got a 40g reef tank and my wife said my gallons per square footage is maxed out until we get a bigger house lol)l.

Anyways sorry for the ramble, I really just enjoy reading your posts and detailed accounts of your fishies, as I said before it's truly refreshing to see someone who really really cares about the beings under their care. I don't know anyone locally who has the same passion for the hobby as I do and often feel like an outcast when I start rambling on about my tanks, fish, plants, corals, critters, etc. The boss lady is supportive but she doesn't have that love (or as she colorfully puts it, that obsession) for fish keeping as I do.

Keep doing what you do! I've been pretty AWOL from the forum for a while. Been spending a lot of time over at thereeftank.com sponging up info on my saltwater tank. Reef vs. natural planted are two completely different worlds. Max flow vs. Minimal flow. Massive lighting vs. moderate/low lighting, The fish 'personalities' are also completely different, My reef tank already knows when it's feeding time and the clown will come to the surface and start bobbing his head out of the water begging for food, I've actually got him trained to take flakes right from my fingers, now for a fish nerd like me that is almost as good as sex (I said almost). Wow I really am rambling now... Anyways I must add the two worlds are different challenges but equally fulfilling and exciting in there own ways. I have a ton of coral in there and watching them transition with the light from 'waking up' to 'full throttle' to 'night time snacking' is mesmorizing. I also really enjoy watching the near microscopic critters come out of the liverock at night.

Anywho... I try to pop on here once a day to troll the planted tank section but will have to try and remember to venture out more to find threads like this. Really drives home "why I do it". Thanks again for the great thread, made me take a minute during the day (and now at midnight while feeding hte 3 week old) to slow down for a minute and think about just how "personal" fish keeping can be with the right mindset. Our tanks, fish and even the plants/coral/critters are part of our family they are not just for display like a piece of furniture or a painting on the wall.