Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   DIY led cheap and works (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/diy-led-cheap-works-94556/)

mbuchanan 02-27-2012 11:38 AM

DIY led cheap and works

Details here
CAFE • View topic - My LED experiment

CAFE • View topic - My LED experiment

CamryDS 02-27-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbuchanan (Post 995639)

Nice =)

I'm building my DIY LED as well

Here are the parts -- total cost will be around $230-$240 (mostly due to 70-80 dollar LED bulbs)

3x Ikea stainless steel mixing bowls
3x Ikea cord set (HEMMA)
3x par 38 23watt (80watt equivalent) LED bulbs dimmable - 6500k temp
1x bulb dimmer (relayed to all 3 bulbs for even light dimming.)

Led Light Bulbs, Led Lighting, Led T8 Fluorescent Tubes - LED Liquidators Inc.

Mikaila31 02-27-2012 01:26 PM

I like LED fixtures, but IDK if I will ever be able to make one. I can make cheap HO T5 fixtures from scratch for like $50 that put out a LOT of light. I would like an LED fixture someday but I am still really iffy on if they will ever be significantly cost effective.

Adamson 02-28-2012 02:13 AM

I just bought this for my 30" tank.

OceanReefDepot Ml Led Aquarium Light - $53.15 | We offer bulk discounts on ALL OceanReefDepot products.

$60 after shipping, I figure I would have spent much more if I tried a DIY LED..

Mikaila31 02-29-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamson (Post 996612)
I just bought this for my 30" tank.

OceanReefDepot Ml Led Aquarium Light - $53.15 | We offer bulk discounts on ALL OceanReefDepot products.

$60 after shipping, I figure I would have spent much more if I tried a DIY LED..

No that uses 5mm LEDs, which are good only for lighting the aquarium. You can not grow anything under that light. That is the difference between that one and the ones above. Your fixture with 50 some LEDs only consumes about 4 watts, where as a LED grow light the high powered LEDs consume at least 3 watts EACH. The one you linked can be made very cheap actually. Thats something I could easily and cheaply build for under $20. It would be a PITA to wire 50 LEDS though. The issue with high powered LEDs is mostly the cost of the LEDs themselves.

Adamson 02-29-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 998214)
No that uses 5mm LEDs, which are good only for lighting the aquarium. You can not grow anything under that light. That is the difference between that one and the ones above. Your fixture with 50 some LEDs only consumes about 4 watts, where as a LED grow light the high powered LEDs consume at least 3 watts EACH. The one you linked can be made very cheap actually. Thats something I could easily and cheaply build for under $20. It would be a PITA to wire 50 LEDS though. The issue with high powered LEDs is mostly the cost of the LEDs themselves.

Shoot, well I screwed that one up.

Maybe I will try and set a separate light on there to allow plants to grow.

Mikaila31 02-29-2012 04:20 PM

I just noticed you are in the Twin Cities. I'm not sure if you are aware of it or not, but the twin cities has the Minnesota Aquarium Society which is a fairly large and active group with regular auctions and meetings. The site is aquarium.mn and local forum is minnfish.com. Its a great way to get cheap tanks, equipment, and fish locally. You know to make sure your new hobby goes to full blown multiple tank syndrome ;-).

Adamson 02-29-2012 04:26 PM

Haha it already has! But yes I will check that out, sounds pretty neat! I have been looking for a local fish club!
Posted via Mobile Device