Where is my nitrite cycle

• Hardly Started

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nearly Finished

Votes: 0 0.0%

Nitrite Cucle nearing completion?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  verbosity 
#1 ·
Alright I have had this tank only a few days.

http://www.fishforum.com/aquarium-log-parameters.php?t=813

But my ammonia seems rather low for one figure 8 puffer. He is a messy eater so a lot of food just falls to the bottom of the tank.

This was a used aqaurium and I did not change the bio wheel in the filter.
When I picked up the tank it looked like it hadn't been used in a while though.

Is my nitrate cycle barely starting or is it nearly finished?

I know it is mean to use live fish. However this fish was bought for me when I was sick and before I knew about the nitrate cycle. He's doing fine!!

#2 ·
What test kit are you using? Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the results appear that you seem stuck to only ammonia.:blink:

#4 ·
Looks like your cycle is just starting. You will get readings for ammonia for a while, then they will turn to nitrites and then to nitrates. Your cycle is finished when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and a reading of nitrates under 40ppm.

The cycle could take anywhere between a few weeks and a few months, which is why I have stated "for a while" rather than giving any guidelines on how long each stage might be.

You have a good test kit however, so if you take regular reading you will see changes in the readings in time.

Good luck. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.