Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   20G stocking question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/20g-stocking-question-94459/)

TheAngryAadvark 02-26-2012 02:11 PM

20G stocking question

hey guys,

So my tanks up and running i've used 5 Danios to help with the tank cycling and everything seems right now.

I just added seven Rummynose Tetras (i think their the Brilliant Rummynose not sure) and 5 cherry red shrimps

so , im thinking of removing the Danios and getting another 6 Cardinal Tetras i would love to have another 6

neon tetras in it but i think that's pushing it. just some advice i need cause i cant make up my mind as to whether

i should go for Cardinals or Neons alone , the Rummynose has kinda filled up the tank already so ??? either way i'm giving back the danios...

sorry for the long winded reply .

Cheers!

PS: my shrimp are hardly coming out from under the log i have i'd say my tank is pretty well planted though i don't have nay carpet type plants that they might like is that the problem??

jaxxmann99 02-26-2012 11:53 PM

Honestly I would say stay with what you have, including the danios.

The tetras you want to add will add color, but the danios cover the top of the tank ( and are so active!) and the rummy nose tetras are really one of my favorites and they also have good color.

If I had that tank I would keep it as is, maybe add some cory cats at the bottom and call it a day!!!

1077 02-27-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAngryAadvark (Post 994645)
hey guys,

So my tanks up and running i've used 5 Danios to help with the tank cycling and everything seems right now.

I just added seven Rummynose Tetras (i think their the Brilliant Rummynose not sure) and 5 cherry red shrimps

so , im thinking of removing the Danios and getting another 6 Cardinal Tetras i would love to have another 6

neon tetras in it but i think that's pushing it. just some advice i need cause i cant make up my mind as to whether

i should go for Cardinals or Neons alone , the Rummynose has kinda filled up the tank already so ??? either way i'm giving back the danios...

sorry for the long winded reply .

Cheers!

PS: my shrimp are hardly coming out from under the log i have i'd say my tank is pretty well planted though i don't have nay carpet type plants that they might like is that the problem??

How long has this tank been running with the Danios?
What are level's for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrAtes?
I would wonder what the pH ,and GH of your source water used for water changes is.
The Danios thrive in cool, moderately hard water while the cardinal tetra's, and rummy nose, need soft warm water.
Im alway's a bit curious as to where these shops are, that will take fishes that have been in my tank,your tank,or that have been subjected to cycling process, for none in my area,, are likely to take them out of fear that these fish could harbor pathogen's ,parasites, and possibly introduce them to their otherwise healthy tank's.
Nor are many willing to place these fish in hospital, or quarantine tank where they may possibly need to spend money to treat the fish.
Those shops that would readily take these fish in,,would not be shops where i would purchase fish.
This is but one reason, why using fishes to cycle the tank(s) is frowned upon, but if fishes are used,,,they should be fishes you intend to keep,not flush, or toss out if fish store refuses to take them back.
With this said,, I would determine what my water from tap is with respect to ph ,gh, and select fishes that will do well with this water, for it is the easiest to reproduce and will need no altering with chemical's or mineral salt's.
Fishes will do better over the long term.