Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   hornwort roots (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/hornwort-roots-94450/)

irving216 02-26-2012 01:53 PM

hornwort roots

2 Attachment(s)
no iv read a couple different places that say hornwort is unique in it doesnt grow roots, making it a near perfect floating plant. now when i started with it in my tanks i had planted it like any other plant. i did a little bit of re-landscaping the other night and came across amazing roots coming from my hornwort. can anyone explain? or am i just that amazing? ;D haha

Byron 02-26-2012 02:19 PM

I believe those are what botanists term rhizoids. Kasselmann writes that this plant, Ceratophyllum demersum, is a free-floating plant under the water surface, rootless or anchored to the substrate with rhizoids. The Biology-Online site defines rhizoids thus:

Rhizoids are a structure in plants and fungi that functions like a root in support or absorption.
In fungi, rhizoids are small branching hyphae that grow downwards from the stolons that anchor the fungus. They release digestive enzymes and absorb digested organic material.
In land plants, rhizoids are trichomes that anchor the plant to the ground. In the liverworts, they are absent or unicellular, but multicelled in mosses. In vascular plants they are often called root hairs, and may be unicellular or multicellular.

Byron.

thekoimaiden 02-26-2012 02:48 PM

I've been trying to get my hornwort to form a rhizome. How long did you have it planted before you found the rhizome, Iriving?

irving216 02-26-2012 04:33 PM

About 2 weeks or so. I have another in my 55 that hasn't started this. I was using gravel in this tank and it was pretty well attached around. I just started using sand so I'm interested in seeing how it works on now. I can't even lie, I boarder line neglected this tank once I got this plant. Didn't really clean the gravel much. I was amazed when I found it like this. I actually figured it would die, as the hornwort Iv gotten from Petco has
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 02-26-2012 06:50 PM

I guess I'll keep trying with mine. I've had it in my 55 gal for a few months now, and I've never gotten a rhizome to develop. Thanks for the info and picture. I've always heard hornwort can develop a rhizome, but I'd never seen pictures. Good to know what I'm looking for.

Rhizoid... my bad :oops:

Byron 02-26-2012 06:54 PM

Just a note--it isn't a rhizome, it is rhizoids on this plant, quite a different thing.;-)

mrbprint 02-26-2012 07:35 PM

I anchor my Hornwort in the gravel and I have pulled some up and all I had was brown leaves under the substrate. Perhaps with a finer and more plant friendly substrate the rhizoids form.

irving216 02-26-2012 10:39 PM

I wish I had taken pix as I pulled it out. It's just normal aquarium gravel from Petco. Nothing special. Actually thought it wasnt going to do well with my plants.
Posted via Mobile Device

moomoofish 02-26-2012 10:43 PM

Looks more like myrio filigree to me