Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   anubias on driftwood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/anubias-driftwood-94414/)

beetlebz 02-25-2012 10:58 PM

anubias on driftwood

does anyone know off hand how they manage to get the driftwood welded into the holes on the driftwood when you see anubias on driftwood? On my piece it almost looks like its epoxy :lol:

I want to drill some shallow holes and do something similar to plant anubias on the giant driftwood in my 110g. If I attach it with string or rubber bands they pick at it until it pulls free.

wannalearn 02-25-2012 11:15 PM

the anubias on driftwood i just recieven, the hole was drilled all the way thru the wood, so could proibly plant the plant in the substrate and just have the plant come up thru the hole,, but i didnt, the roots were long enought they kinda wrapped around the wood..

Byron 02-26-2012 12:56 PM

I look for a crevice or hole in the wood and gently maneuver the rhizome partly into it.

Welsh 02-27-2012 09:52 AM

I just place the plant into a secure hole and eventually the roots will either stick to the wood, or find their way in to the gravel, I just did this with a crypt as well. I've never had a problem using rubber bands though, I usually wrap them pretty tight around the wood and roots, so unless you have piranhas,you should be ok lol

Inga 02-27-2012 11:55 AM

I am having issue with my anubias as well. I have attached it several time and it keeps floating. I swear my fish watch me go through all the effort to place it and then wait for me to tun my back so they can begin moving it. Darn fish! I do have a Java Fern that finally attached because the fish left it alone long enough. I guess persistence is the key.

Welsh 02-27-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 995663)
I am having issue with my anubias as well. I have attached it several time and it keeps floating. I swear my fish watch me go through all the effort to place it and then wait for me to tun my back so they can begin moving it. Darn fish! I do have a Java Fern that finally attached because the fish left it alone long enough. I guess persistence is the key.

I have the opposite problem, I can never get my java fern to attach to anything and by the time a few rhizomes take a hold of something, the fern turns black and I end up giving up lol.

Have you tried string to attach your anubia's? I used string and rubber bands to attach my coffeefolia, to my driftwood and 2 months later, its standing on its own lol

Inga 02-27-2012 02:00 PM

I have tried string but not rubber bands. That might be next. You wouldn't think it would be hard but... the fish work against me sometimes. I guess when it comes down to it, it is their home and I shouldn't fight so hard to decorate it in a way they obviously feel is wrong. ha ha I guess they either don't care for the Anubias or they want it floating. lol

Ogre44 02-27-2012 04:23 PM

I have had success using string for both anubias and java ferns.
I use 3 or 4 feet of string and wrap from multiple directions, finishing with a couple of good old granny knots.

Now, does anyone have any ideas on keeping my cory cats from uprooting my microsword?
I swear that nothing gives them greater pleasure than ripping that stuff out of the gravel.

beetlebz 02-27-2012 06:46 PM

Ive tried rubber bands, but not string. I wont be going back to it anytime soon, the severums are using it to lay eggs on :)

Welsh 02-28-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 995763)
I have tried string but not rubber bands. That might be next. You wouldn't think it would be hard but... the fish work against me sometimes. I guess when it comes down to it, it is their home and I shouldn't fight so hard to decorate it in a way they obviously feel is wrong. ha ha I guess they either don't care for the Anubias or they want it floating. lol

I've never had trouble with fish uprooting my plants, but I did have a problem with my clam pulling up crypts when it moved around the tank lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre44 (Post 995924)
I have had success using string for both anubias and java ferns.
I use 3 or 4 feet of string and wrap from multiple directions, finishing with a couple of good old granny knots.

Now, does anyone have any ideas on keeping my cory cats from uprooting my microsword?
I swear that nothing gives them greater pleasure than ripping that stuff out of the gravel.

You could try putting some small stones around the plant, until it roots itself securely in to the gravel?