Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Can you identify this cat? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/can-you-identify-cat-94400/)

rholson 02-25-2012 09:16 PM

Can you identify this cat?

1 Attachment(s)
This cat was accidentally caught in the net when I was buying a Cory and a bunch of other fish. He was pretty small at the time (about the size of a quarter) and the petstore guy didn't want to get him back out of the net. He wasn't sure what kind of cat he was but I liked the way he looked so the guy sold him to me for $2. That was two years ago. Now he's about 5" long and has become one of my favorite fish. He's really neat looking and is pretty active (I had a terrible time trying to catch him when he was sitting still, thus the blurred picture!) I'd like to get another one for my other tanks at some point in time but I've never been able to I.D. him. Just wondering if any of you can help me figure out what he is?

This is my first post on this forum so thanks in advance for your input!

Been in the hobby for 25 years (fresh and salt) but other than cory's I've never really done much with cats. He's got me baffled!

Tazman 02-25-2012 09:20 PM

Welcome to the Forum. :-)

Possibly a young sailfin Pleco.

rholson 02-25-2012 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 993972)
Welcome to the Forum. :-)

Possibly a young sailfin Pleco.

Thanks, but he definitely doesn't have the Pleco mouth. Not a "sucker". A mouth more like the cats I catch in the river when fishing. He has really cool looking barbels under his mouth too. They are almost fern-like or lacey. I tried to get a picture of the barbels. This kind of shows what I'm talking about. I'll try to get a better pic if I can.

4shi 02-25-2012 09:41 PM

Synodontis Eupterus.

Tazman 02-25-2012 09:52 PM

Dont even know why I posted that...LOL!

<--- stupid. :-)

Agreed on the Syno

rholson 02-25-2012 10:00 PM

That's him! Thanks! You guys are awesome!

4shi 02-29-2012 07:49 PM

I really got like your fish as I saw him. I might try to keep this species.:)

Romad 02-29-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4shi (Post 993998)
Synodontis Eupterus.

Our members rock!! Welcome to the forum rholson :wave:

rholson 03-03-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4shi (Post 998593)
I really got like your fish as I saw him. I might try to keep this species.:)

I've really enjoyed this fish, he's definitely one of my favorites! Very easy to keep and an active member of my tank. If you decide to try this species I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

4shi 03-03-2012 01:39 PM

Unfortunatelly I can't afford big fishes. Even if I could get more tanks, there'd be always small fishies like livebearers in them. But I still love this Synodontis, and yours is a really awesome one. I've never seen such a handsome one before, hehe:P