Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hard Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hard-water-94360/)

CinBos 02-25-2012 03:49 PM

Hard Water

I have been doing a lot of research on types of fish I would like to keep. I'be noticed almost all cichlids are fish that needs water that is hard.

What exactly does Hardness of Water mean.

And I have some other fish in mind with the cichlids I would like.

Ex.
Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus)
Sailfin Pleco (L-83) (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)

Columbian Shark (Arius jordani)
Clown Loach (Botia macracantha)
Black Ghost Knifefish

4shi 02-25-2012 06:20 PM

Well, you can try for example limestone. It's a common decoration in perch tanks, but there are other stones that can make your water harder.

CinBos 02-25-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4shi (Post 993693)
Well, you can try for example limestone. It's a common decoration in perch tanks, but there are other stones that can make your water harder.

Nevermind. I believe I know what hardness is. I believe it pertains to the PH level, no rocks. But thanks anyways.

Adamson 02-25-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 993583)
I have been doing a lot of research on types of fish I would like to keep. I'be noticed almost all cichlids are fish that needs water that is hard.

What exactly does Hardness of Water mean.

And I have some other fish in mind with the cichlids I would like.

Ex.
Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus)
Sailfin Pleco (L-83) (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)

Columbian Shark (Arius jordani)
Clown Loach (Botia macracantha)
Black Ghost Knifefish

Black Ghost Knife Fish want soft water, and it NEEDS to be very shaded, lots of dark places to hide, and a 75+ gallon tank..

CinBos 02-25-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamson (Post 993768)
Black Ghost Knife Fish want soft water, and it NEEDS to be very shaded, lots of dark places to hide, and a 75+ gallon tank..

I have a 125gal tank. I have quickly figured out that almost all cichlids are impossible to keep with a Black ghost Knife. I just posted another thread about Oscars and a Ghost co existing. You think they could?

4shi 02-25-2012 07:27 PM

Well, pH depends on acid. Water's hardness is different, it means the mineral content of the water. I don't really know the exact thing, because there are different minerals that can be dissolved, but to get "harder" water for fishes, people really do use rocks (I don't, because i don't need hard water). Also because of this if you use limestone that can kill your salmons! But you can buy water-tests (chemical tests) in shops, that'll help you. Oh, and don't panic, if the number it shows you is not exactly the same as you want, that's not really a problem, it has to be just close.
Read this page. You won't need this much chemical s***, but it can explain better than i do:) Hard water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tazman 02-25-2012 07:35 PM

I would recommend getting an API liquid test kit for GH(General Hardness) and KH (Carbonate Hardness).
You can find information here that will explain each in detail.
*This is a PDF document

Byron 02-25-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 993739)
Nevermind. I believe I know what hardness is. I believe it pertains to the PH level, no rocks. But thanks anyways.

Hardness and pH are two different things, though usually (but not always) related. You can read all about them here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

And a 75g, even a 125g, is not sufficient for a black ghost knifefish. It requires a 6 foot (long) by 2 foot (wide) tank because it will attain 20 inches (if it lives and is healthy) and being inflexible it would not be able to turn around in anything smaller.

Not all cichlids need hard water; generally, only the African rift lake species. The Central American are soft water to medium hard, depending upon species, and all SA are generally soft. There are some SA cichlids that will work with a BGK in a large enough tank, but the Oscar is not one of them; Geophagus species, Satanoperca species, angelfish, even discus. These are found together is some of their respective habitats.

The Columbian Shark requires brackish water when mature; this would not suit most of the other fish listed.

The Clown loach are soft water and need a group, and a 6-foot or larger tank as they grow.

CinBos 02-25-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 993811)
Hardness and pH are two different things, though usually (but not always) related. You can read all about them here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

And a 75g, even a 125g, is not sufficient for a black ghost knifefish. It requires a 6 foot (long) by 2 foot (wide) tank because it will attain 20 inches (if it lives and is healthy) and being inflexible it would not be able to turn around in anything smaller.

Not all cichlids need hard water; generally, only the African rift lake species. The Central American are soft water to medium hard, depending upon species, and all SA are generally soft. There are some SA cichlids that will work with a BGK in a large enough tank, but the Oscar is not one of them; Geophagus species, Satanoperca species, angelfish, even discus. These are found together is some of their respective habitats.

The Columbian Shark requires brackish water when mature; this would not suit most of the other fish listed.

The Clown loach are soft water and need a group, and a 6-foot or larger tank as they grow.

Thank you, helped out alot. I'm thinking I may go along the lines of a whip tail cat instead of the columbian shark. Also the tank
Is 72" by 18". Ive heard that will do for black ghost knifes. I'm just a bit confused with these cichlids. I made out an entire list, and when i posted them on another forum pertaining to cichlids, everyone fround upon knifefish and cichlids coexisting, except for more hardy cochlids like oscars.
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 02-25-2012 11:26 PM

Also ive just noticed alot of cichlids need between 7.5 and 8.5 ph levels (except for oscars) and most of the fish i listed like the plecos, loach and knifefish all need lower ph levels (at the highest 7.5), i just dont know where to find the happy medium and get a good selection of fish.
Posted via Mobile Device