Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Tank Cover/Canopy/Lid (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/tank-cover-canopy-lid-94295/)

CinBos 02-24-2012 06:17 PM

Tank Cover/Canopy/Lid

Where can I find a a cover for a 125gal aquarium. I just purchased it from a friend, and it did not have a cover to go along with it. Where can I go to buy one, or if so, how can I make it?

CinBos 02-25-2012 12:08 AM

Anyone got any ideas for me?
Posted via Mobile Device

fish monger 02-25-2012 05:52 AM

I just typed "125 gallon aquarium canopy" on the search line and saw tons of sources. Also, you could type in "DIY aquarium covers" for advice/instructions on making one yourself.

beetlebz 02-25-2012 09:25 AM

If it has 2 braces in the middle on the top, 3 24"x18" glass covers will fit.

CinBos 02-25-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 993331)
If it has 2 braces in the middle on the top, 3 24"x18" glass covers will fit.

Thats another thing, there are no middle braces on the tank at all!

CinBos 02-25-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 993341)
Thats another thing, there are no middle braces on the tank at all!

I guess the question now is...What is the best way to go about a cover without braces on a 6ft tank? Ha

fish monger 02-25-2012 11:17 AM

I just typed in "top braces for a 125 gallon aquarium" on my search line and there seems to be a lot of info out there. Some says don't worry about it, some provides DIY advice. It never ceases to amaze me what you can find online.

CinBos 02-25-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 993415)
I just typed in "top braces for a 125 gallon aquarium" on my search line and there seems to be a lot of info out there. Some says don't worry about it, some provides DIY advice. It never ceases to amaze me what you can find online.

You aint kidding. I just like to be thorough, and get the best advice from those who know (forums). You ever know when looking for info throughout the web who will answer. Apreciate it tho, I will do the same as you did.

beetlebz 02-25-2012 11:43 AM

one of these days im going to make one for my 110g high, its 48x18 with no braces. I had plans to use 1/2" angle steel (painted and clear coated) to reinforce a lexan or plexi hinged lid. There are lots of plans out there to do it, and im mechanically inclined to a point, just a matter of getting of my lazy bum. IME, full canopys help, but dont really do much for evaporation. Not to mention if one of my severums decides to splash, the ballast is exposed. ooooh someday.

Nowadays any tank you buy unless its an oddball is compatible with just about any accessory of a different brand. 20 years ago when alot of the bigger tanks were made, such standards werent really standard. A new 125g will assuredly have two braces, and a 55 will have one, and any lids sized for the openings will fit fine. Those of us with older tanks need to band together to get creative ;-)

CinBos 02-25-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 993439)
one of these days im going to make one for my 110g high, its 48x18 with no braces. I had plans to use 1/2" angle steel (painted and clear coated) to reinforce a lexan or plexi hinged lid. There are lots of plans out there to do it, and im mechanically inclined to a point, just a matter of getting of my lazy bum. IME, full canopys help, but dont really do much for evaporation. Not to mention if one of my severums decides to splash, the ballast is exposed. ooooh someday.

Nowadays any tank you buy unless its an oddball is compatible with just about any accessory of a different brand. 20 years ago when alot of the bigger tanks were made, such standards werent really standard. A new 125g will assuredly have two braces, and a 55 will have one, and any lids sized for the openings will fit fine. Those of us with older tanks need to band together to get creative ;-)

you are right about being lazy. I will get the umph to get up and do it. I like your style.