Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Overstocked - Need advice on compatibility (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/overstocked-need-advice-compatibility-94228/)

Termato 02-24-2012 01:04 AM

Overstocked - Need advice on compatibility
 
I am overstocked.

I am giving away 2 serpae tetra to my friend who has 2 tetras that are not serpae .

Would a lonely femaly molllie go well with those four tetras?

He has a 10 gallon tank.

ladayen 02-25-2012 11:27 AM

What are the other tetra? Serpae will only get along with some other tetras.

Quantum 02-25-2012 11:49 AM

no, mollys require different water parameters, and as alluded to Serpae Tetra are best kept as a single species and in a larger numbers, two of them in a small tank will almost certainly cause trouble

Termato 02-25-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum (Post 993388)
no, mollys require different water parameters, and as alluded to Serpae Tetra are best kept as a single species and in a larger numbers, two of them in a small tank will almost certainly cause trouble

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took my friend to get more Serpae because they feel comfortable in groups of 6 or more. His tank is still cycling so the plants I gave him will help that.

I actually bought a 29 Gallon tank that I can now move the male mollies into. I hope his tetras are going to be ok.

I am planning on putting 3 male mollies in a 29 tank with ottos and gouramis. Any suggestions ideas?

I have my males and females in one tank and its a war right now. I want to separate my males and females.

Byron 02-25-2012 02:01 PM

Few gourami species will manage in a 29g which to them is small, and males are territorial. Are you considering any specific species? Water parameters will play into this too, as many of the specialist small gourami are wild caught and require very soft water, which will quickly weaken and likely soon kill the molly which need hard water.

Byron.

Termato 02-25-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 993493)
Few gourami species will manage in a 29g which to them is small, and males are territorial. Are you considering any specific species? Water parameters will play into this too, as many of the specialist small gourami are wild caught and require very soft water, which will quickly weaken and likely soon kill the molly which need hard water.

Byron.

Mainly the Dwarf Gourami. What if I get like two females? I don't know how to sex them though.

This is my city's annual water report page: Annual Water Quality Report Main Sub Page

I was looking for a fish that has some blue or purple that can grow max of like 4"". ...maybe 4.5...I have mollies platys and ottos. Ghost shrimp died in my water because it is too hot.

Byron 02-25-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 993506)
Mainly the Dwarf Gourami. What if I get like two females? I don't know how to sex them though.

This is my city's annual water report page: Annual Water Quality Report Main Sub Page

I was looking for a fish that has some blue or purple that can grow max of like 4"". ...maybe 4.5...I have mollies platys and ottos. Ghost shrimp died in my water because it is too hot.

That is one of those water reports that deals only with contaminants so it doesn't mention hardness and pH. You may have to call them, or if you have a good reliable fish store, they may know, or might test the water. Buying a kit yourself is expensive for one test.

I would caution on dwarf gourami, for reasons noted in the profile. The Honey Gourami would be suitable, a small group in a 29g is OK with other compatible fish.

I would steer clear of 4+ inch fish in a 29g. Except for some substrate fish like the Whiptail Catfish. Upper fish of that length usually have girth too, and will look out of place in a small window.

Termato 02-26-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 993538)
That is one of those water reports that deals only with contaminants so it doesn't mention hardness and pH. You may have to call them, or if you have a good reliable fish store, they may know, or might test the water. Buying a kit yourself is expensive for one test.

I would caution on dwarf gourami, for reasons noted in the profile. The Honey Gourami would be suitable, a small group in a 29g is OK with other compatible fish.

I would steer clear of 4+ inch fish in a 29g. Except for some substrate fish like the Whiptail Catfish. Upper fish of that length usually have girth too, and will look out of place in a small window.

Thanks for the advice Byron. I appreciate it.

I was mainly looking for a center piece fish and exactly what you suggest like the cat fish for the bottom feeders. Is there any smaller type of cat fish that I could put in there. I don't want anything getting TOO big in these small tanks.

It looks like one of my mollies has Ich. I don't yet have an issolation tank. Should I get the API Ich medicine to treat him.

His right eye is swollen and has white spots appearing all over his body. He is still swimming fine. My tank had a Nitrite spike so I just did a 50% water change.


Once I set up the 29 tank it gets going I was planning on putting all of my males in there so I don't have any more babies. That's 3 mollies.

Tazman 02-26-2012 10:57 PM

Start treating for ich IMMEDIATELY as soon as you get the symptoms.

In such a small tank, it will have already spread to all the other fish, they will not be showing it externally yet with the white spots.

Is your 29g tank cycled or are you still cycling it?

Disease is one indication of an overstocked tank which is not working...Before adding anything else you need the ich cured, otherwise once you transfer to the 29g, you will taking ich with you.

Find out about ich here

Termato 02-26-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 995198)
Start treating for ich IMMEDIATELY as soon as you get the symptoms.

In such a small tank, it will have already spread to all the other fish, they will not be showing it externally yet with the white spots.

Is your 29g tank cycled or are you still cycling it?

Disease is one indication of an overstocked tank which is not working...Before adding anything else you need the ich cured, otherwise once you transfer to the 29g, you will taking ich with you.

Find out about ich here

Thanks Taz. The thing is I cant go get the meds till the am because all the stores are closed.

The 29 isnt set up yet because Im going to be moving tomorrow....this is going to be very problematic...
I hope none of them die, but with the moving tomorrow it might get the ones who are further in the stages of the ich...if not all....

Any recommendations on transporting?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2