Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Cycling questions/troubles. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/cycling-questions-troubles-94062/)

Jason4390 02-22-2012 03:03 AM

Cycling questions/troubles.

Ok, I'm new to the hobby and a bit confused on my readings for my currently cycling tank. I have a 75g long brackish tank setup. SG at 1.010, temp at about 84, and ph is 8. It was seeded with one bag of live sand and a fairly good size ornament from a full marine tank. I have used Stability and some other product (that said it promotes bacteria growth) on initial setup. I'm using clear ammonia for a fishless cycle and have been having to add rather large amounts to get my ammonia readings (15-20ml of pure ammonia) which have been 2-3 ppm. It has been only 3-4 days since I've started my cycling journey and even with the massive amounts of ammonia (much more that the 5 drops per 10 gallons I've read) and I'm already getting nitrAte readings? I tested for nitrite and none was present. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong/right or where I'm at in the cycling process?

Reefing Madness 02-22-2012 08:35 AM

Sit tight, this does not happen over night. You've got the ammonia in the tank, now let nature run out its course.
Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches

Tazman 02-22-2012 08:40 AM

I would highly recommend dosing the ammonia up to 5ppm. With this method once the cycle is complete you can FULLY stock the tank straight away as the bacteria are in massive quantities.

I did that with my 75g freshwater tank and have zero ammonia / nitrite readings constantly and it is fully stocked.

Jason4390 02-22-2012 11:55 AM

But the nitrate levels were at 10 ppm already on the 2nd day. I thought once nitrate was present the cycling was almost over. My readings are just confusing from all the research that I've done.

Reefing Madness 02-22-2012 06:02 PM

Not nessarily true. They may go up. Also, your dosing Ammonia and a Bacteria for a faster cycle, this usually leads to a longer one, because usually the dose gets botched. Your cycle may get shortened, wiat a week to see where its going. No one has the patience for this part of the hobby.

Jason4390 02-23-2012 01:04 AM

I'm a very impatient person, but I WILL have this right before adding my fish(es). Just curious as to what's going on in the microscopic world in my tank. But can you explain as to how I may have "botched" the dose? And by dose I assume you mean the clear ammonia and possibly the items used to seed? Sorry if I'm sounding rude, it's not that at all, just very eager to learn :). This is the first step for me into, hopefully, a long and rewarding hobby. What should I be looking for in my readings and how long before I should see the changes to know that progress is being made. Also, I have one Penguin 350 HOB filter. My not so LFS told me that when dealing with a marine tank the filtration should be doubled. Does this apply to brackish, or did they just want me to buy another not-so-affordable filter? My funds have run out on this project at the moment.but for the sake of the length of this post I will include further questions (about acclimation) later on. I eagerly await responses of any kind, and appreciate any input anyone wishes to give me... I'm starting to love this site!

jeffnsa 02-23-2012 06:06 AM

For filtration you should have a sump, refugium or skimmer and not another hang on back. lfs always want to sell you more stuff than you need so before you buy look around for a local saltwater club join for the information and usually good deals on equipment.
The botching the dosing comment is true because there is no perfect way to do it when each tank is different from another.Time is the best way to make sure your tank is ready but if you must test it do it every 2-3 days for at least another week and don't add anything else to the tank.

Reefing Madness 02-23-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnsa (Post 991067)
For filtration you should have a sump, refugium or skimmer and not another hang on back. lfs always want to sell you more stuff than you need so before you buy look around for a local saltwater club join for the information and usually good deals on equipment.
The botching the dosing comment is true because there is no perfect way to do it when each tank is different from another.Time is the best way to make sure your tank is ready but if you must test it do it every 2-3 days for at least another week and don't add anything else to the tank.

:thumbsup:

reefsahoy 02-23-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason4390 (Post 991018)
I'm a very impatient person,

one thing this hobby will teach you is to be patient. only bad thing happen fast, It's a slow process for good things to happen! if you go too fast you'll lose alot of $ and cause loss of live to aquarium stock. I hate to tell you but patients is key to success!

Jason4390 02-23-2012 12:35 PM

Ok, Thanks for everyone's input. As for filtration, which of the three would i need and how costly are they? A sump sounds possible, I do have an empty 10 gallon lying around. I've been browsing online and those three words are very expensive. So another HOB will not do, maybe a canister filter. If this is the route I have to go my porject will have to be put on a serious hold. What do you guys think I can get away with at first?