Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Need advice on FX5 and setting up my 125g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/need-advice-fx5-setting-up-my-94047/)

Fishoutofwater 02-21-2012 10:37 PM

Need advice on FX5 and setting up my 125g

Greetings. I am fairly new to this hobby/passion, but have always wanted to get in to this so here I am. Anywho, My wife and I have just finished cycling our 29g tank successfully(boy that Ammonia spike lasted forever.)

My questions are about setting up our 125g:

We are going to do the live plant, real rock, and driftwood route. And plan on a community tank eventually fully stocked.

What would be the best filter for this setup? I've heard that with live plants, they actually help the filtration process and also don't like a whole lot of flow rate. Is this true? We have been looking at the FLuval fx5 and I am wondering with the flow rate of 526gph with full media, will that be too strong for the live plants and smaller fish such as Cardinals. Also will this particular filter be able to handle the bio load of a stocked tank of this size? I read that the Eheim Pro has better bio filter capacity but they're just so expensive.

Also, is the Fx5 a sturdy filter that will last me a while with minimal maintenace?

Anything else that I would need to know would be much appreciated by myself and our future fish.
Thank you.

Tazman 02-21-2012 10:59 PM

The FX5 has about the biggest media capacity of any filter.

I have 2, one on a 75g and one on a 180g tank. I keep Africian Cichlids which need extreme filtration.

It is very powerful but I think for Cardinals it would be too much flow for them.

Perhaps something more appropriate would be the Aquaclear 110, I would look at 2 on a 125g tank, also the Rena XP4 is a nice filter.

I have only once serviced my fx5 on my 125g tank and have had it almost a year...you can pretty much put anything in it, it has such a big media capacity.

Hope this helps.

Tazman 02-21-2012 11:00 PM

Welcome to the Forum by the way as well :-)

ladayen 02-21-2012 11:02 PM

I've got an FX5 on my 65 cichlid tank. Been running for 6 months no problem. Bought it used and if I remember right the previous owners said they had it for 2 years. we bought their tank too which is why they were selling it btw.

1077 02-21-2012 11:48 PM

Can adjust the flow if need be on the FX5 by partially closing tap on the return hose.
I like the drain feature on the bottom which could also allow you to drain water for water change.
I been thinking of gettin one but finances are tight now for i just spent a fair amount of $$ on new tires and wheels for my Truck.:roll:

Fishoutofwater 02-22-2012 01:51 PM

Would the problem be with the suction or the exhaust on the fx5 for a tropical community tank? What is a desired flow rate for live plants in my setup? And thanks guys for the quick responses.

Geomancer 02-22-2012 03:36 PM

The Rena XP3 is more than enough for a 125g.

Most plants (and fish) do not appreciate a strong current, and if you are going fully planted (not just a couple) the filter is only needed for mechanical filtration anyways (removal of floating particles in the water).

There is, of course, also the Eheim filters which as you've seen are expensive. A lot of people say they are the best you can get ... but I'm not convinced because so many of those people only feel that way because they think more expensive = better. They very well may be the best, but I haven't really heard how they are better.

I'll be doing a 120 or 125 this summer after I get my floors resurfaced. I've been looking at the Rena XP3 or possibly trying a AquaTop CF-400UV. It's a new brand though, so not really much is known about them. Reviews appear to be positive though.

1077 02-23-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishoutofwater (Post 990306)
Would the problem be with the suction or the exhaust on the fx5 for a tropical community tank? What is a desired flow rate for live plants in my setup? And thanks guys for the quick responses.

May not be a problem at all.Listed flow rates for filter's are measured without many media inside, and often at zero head height.
Once filter is full of media,and placed under the tank where water flows up three or four feet,the flow rate can be 25 to 40 percent less than advertised.
I would were it me,(and it ain't) choose the FX5, for 125 gal or perhaps, two Eheim 2217's which could be purchased with all media included, for the price of the FX5.(or very near it)
My plant's and fishes do fine with more circulation than some choose to use.