Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   HELP dead fish.- filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-dead-fish-filter-9402/)

ron4th 11-16-2007 06:15 PM

HELP dead fish.- filter?

I recently got guppies and after the first night,I found one dead on the bottom, his tail fin looked to be a bit chewd, i was wondering if it was maybe he filter?
I bought an " Elite-Stingray 5, Underwater Filter " for my 5 gallon guppy tank. It sticks right onto the glass and goes completly underwater and just plugs right into the wall
with just one cord. i was just wondering if it is the right knd of filter needed for a 5 gallon guppy aquarium ?
This is the only filter I have for the fish, is that the right kind of filter, are they able to breath?Is that all I need?
I also put a live plant in aswell.
They are all staying at the top in one corner, im not sure if it is because of the current the filter produces or what.
It also looks like all theyre tail fins are becoming kindov narrow

Lupin 11-16-2007 06:19 PM

Re: HELP dead fish.- filter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron4th
I recently got guppies and after the first night,I found one dead on the bottom, his tail fin looked to be a bit chewd, i was wondering if it was maybe he filter?
I bought an " Elite-Stingray 5, Underwater Filter " for my 5 gallon guppy tank. It sticks right onto the glass and goes completly underwater and just plugs right into the wall
with just one cord. i was just wondering if it is the right knd of filter needed for a 5 gallon guppy aquarium ?
This is the only filter I have for the fish, is that the right kind of filter, are they able to breath?Is that all I need?
I also put a live plant in aswell.
They are all staying at the top in one corner, im not sure if it is because of the current the filter produces or what.
It also looks like all theyre tail fins are becoming kindov narrow

Hmmm..Not familiar with that filter. Is this one in particular strong? Guppies don't do well with very strong filters. What are your water parameters?

Falina 11-17-2007 06:50 AM

Lupin no it's not a very strong filter. I used it in my fry tank a while back for the very reason that it wasn't very strong.

If you could post your water parameters it would be helpful.

Sometimes male guppies nip each otheres fins so this could explain his tail however it wouldn't kill him. Was the tank fully cycled?

Lupin 11-17-2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falina
Lupin no it's not a very strong filter. I used it in my fry tank a while back for the very reason that it wasn't very strong.

Ah thanks for clearing that up, Julie.:)