Tropical Fish Keeping banner

plants not doing well,please help..

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  debit202 
#1 ·
Purchased a water sprite, ancharis, jungle val and contortion val for my 55g 2 and half weeks ago. The floating water sprite has shown slight growth but half of it is browning and leafs starting to detach from roots, the ancharis has done absolutely nothing, looks the same as when I got it. On to the contortion val, it's losing leafs and browning and showing no growth. Jungle val not doing much either but not as much browning and leaf losing. I've dosed with flourish 5 times since they've been in. I have moderate lighting,hard water and a Ph of 8.2-8.4. The tank houses 3 platies, 6 cherry barbs and 5 zebra danios. If someone could tell me whats going on with my plants it would be appreciated. Should they be growing or do they take this long to acclimate to tank. I'm getting really frustrated.

#2 ·
smit3183, it will help others give a better reply if we know what lighting you have over your tank, as this is probably the major determining factor on how your plants are doing. If it is the lighting that came in a package with your 55g, then you probably have 2 18" t8 tubes. If not, please let us know what you're using, as everyones definition of moderate lighting is bound to be different. Also, how long are you leaving the lights on?

You mentioned you have dosed with flourish 5 times, are you talking about flourish comprehensive? If so, this is probably a little much. You should only be dosing 1 or maybe 2 times a week at most.

#6 ·
but what length is the bulb or bulbs? that will help us determine the wattage.

Something important to consider, a 55g tank with standard lighting really isnt that bright. Not that it wont do, mind you. The plants arent going to go as crazy under that light (im assuming its a standard single width fixture) but they can still grow, and grow healthily. Some plants might need more light than others and ultimately might need to be replaced with a species that tolerates lower light levels. Conversely, some plant species thrive under low lights (i.e. anubias sp.).

What I believe is most important, is having some patience at this stage. The 'mother leaf' that Ive always received my water sprite on has always browned initially, but the new growth on the leaves themselves have been unreal. The anacharis and vals might just need some time. Every time I move a plant from tank to tank or even just to a different spot in the same tank, growth stops until it gets readjusted. It could take hours, or it could take weeks.

The vals could simply just be adjusting to your water. Most plants will grow differently and at different rates based on temperature, water hardness, available nutrients, etc.

Give it some time, and in the mean time measure that bulb for us!

#9 ·
As you can see, smit3183, we need to have all the data; a doctor can't diagnose your health problem without knowing all the relevant facts.:)

But I agree with what others have suggested. Flourish Comprehensive should not be used more than twice weekly, and only at the amount specified on the label. For a 55g tank, that would be no more than 1 teaspoon per dose, with one or two doses per week max, about 3 days apart. This might have to be only once, if the light is not balanced. Then there are the nutrients that occur naturally elsewhere, and vary with each aquarium and water supply. In order to properly assess this, we woudl need to know the GH of the tap water. And of course the light issue mentioned by others.

It is also true that many plants need time to adjust, and the greater the difference between your water and that the plants were raised in or kept in, the longer and more evident this can be. Ceratopteris (Water Sprite) does not like changes. I have seen it weaken just moving it from one tank to another, but it does rebound.

Byron.

#10 ·
I'm growing water sprite as well- I noticed to day that it and a grass i'm growing have like "hairs " on them. The water sprite that has reached the top of the tank looks like its trying to grow roots heading towards the bottom. These have been doing that for a couple days. The Hairs i noticed to day? Cause for alarm? Otherwise the plants see to be doing well
Should i cut these spots off? or trim thm and get them out of the tank?

#11 ·
I'm growing water sprite as well- I noticed to day that it and a grass i'm growing have like "hairs " on them. The water sprite that has reached the top of the tank looks like its trying to grow roots heading towards the bottom. These have been doing that for a couple days. The Hairs i noticed to day? Cause for alarm? Otherwise the plants see to be doing well
Should i cut these spots off? or trim thm and get them out of the tank?
I'd like to see a photo to be certain, but I would suspect these are roots. If you have Ceratopteris cornuta, which is the most commonly-available species of Water Sprite, it prefers to be floating. It will develop incredible plants across the surface, sending some leaves above and developing a large mass of fine roots that add a lot of oxygen to the water. It pulls a lot of toxins out of the water too, as it is very fast growing. On its leaves, daughter plants will readily form and these can be gently pulled off and left floating as new plants.

Other species sometimes seen is Ceratopteris pteridioides and C. thalictroides. These will do better planted in ths substrate.

#13 ·
I would see if they are attached. If not, or if they separate easily, stick em in the gravel. I have not had my C. thalictroides very long, but its not uncommon for stem plants to sprout roots along the length of the stem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.