Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Feeding frozen bloodworms to Kribs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/feeding-frozen-bloodworms-kribs-93910/)

Ami 02-20-2012 03:39 PM

Feeding frozen bloodworms to Kribs

Hi,
I set up a 29G tank 6 weeks ago and put in a Krib pair last Friday.
I read that Kribs like "meaty" food. Since our local LFSs don't sell live food out here, I got some frozen bloodworms. I was wondering
1) How many times a week I should feed frozen bloodworms to Kribs?
2) Do they need other frozen food, or can I get by with blanched zuchhini / spinach and sinking pellets?

Thanks,
Ami

rrcoolj 02-20-2012 04:01 PM

I would look into a good staple cichlid pellet first. Some good brands are xtreme, NLS(new life spectrum), and hikari cichlid gold. I recommend NLS. This should be your fish's staple. You can supplement several times a week with meaty foods. No more than 3 I would say. Blood worms are ok but there are better options. Krill is a great source of protein and I highly recommend it. You may also feed other "veggie" pellets if you want a couple times a week. Make sure you read the label as with human foods. Just because it says "sprinula" does not mean it is. For example I used to feed sprinula flakes too my fish thinking they were getting an extra source of veggie matter. I found out from reading the label one day that there was actually less sprinula in the flakes than there was in my NLS.

Tazman 02-20-2012 06:16 PM

NLS is by the far the best source of food for cichlids, either pellets or flakes.

Supplement with peas, carrots, pieces of romania lettuce..bloodworms I feed once or twice a month max.

Ami 02-22-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrcoolj (Post 988364)
I would look into a good staple cichlid pellet first. Some good brands are xtreme, NLS(new life spectrum), and hikari cichlid gold. I recommend NLS. This should be your fish's staple. You can supplement several times a week with meaty foods. No more than 3 I would say. Blood worms are ok but there are better options. Krill is a great source of protein and I highly recommend it. You may also feed other "veggie" pellets if you want a couple times a week. Make sure you read the label as with human foods. Just because it says "sprinula" does not mean it is. For example I used to feed sprinula flakes too my fish thinking they were getting an extra source of veggie matter. I found out from reading the label one day that there was actually less sprinula in the flakes than there was in my NLS.

I finally got some NLS. I dropped a few pellets, but the Kribs just went to the sinking pellets and moved on. They are quite colorful and active, aut aren't eating....may be they just aren't hungry? Or do they eat less than my Platies? (I feed the platies and danios 3-4 times)
I remember that the Kribs wolfed down any flakes hitting the bottom on the day I got them.

Ami 02-22-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 988470)
NLS is by the far the best source of food for cichlids, either pellets or flakes.

Supplement with peas, carrots, pieces of romania lettuce..bloodworms I feed once or twice a month max.

I got some NLS sinking pellets.
I was wondering how to feed the veggies. Do you need to prepare peas & carrots? Or can I just thaw them out from the freezer, bring to room temperature and drop them into the tank? I suppose fresh Romania lettuce is best? I tried putting in blanched zuchhini, but they didn't touch the stuff. However my otos in the other tank devoured it.

Tazman 02-22-2012 06:47 PM

Yes, just let it thaw out to room temperature and drop them in.
Best using them straight from frozen as cooked ones lose a bit of nutrition.

A slice of cucumber would need to be weighed down (fork does the trick)