Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Moving bed filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/moving-bed-filter-93861/)

Adamson 02-20-2012 02:51 AM

Moving bed filter

I am really liking the idea of making a moving bed filter using K1 media or HEL-X Media, or I have heard that plastic straws that are cut up give a similar effect.

Have any of you made one of these, or have experience with this?

Should I get K1 or HEL-X, and do I have to order it online, or do any stores in the US sell it..?

Also, is this an effective way to combat ammonia? I have been looking all over this forum and can't really find anyone doing this..

I am really into "Do it yourself" type of projects..

Here is a video a kid made with straws:

What is the difference between K1 and cut up straws?

Adamson 02-20-2012 03:35 AM

This is irrelevant to my post, but have you seen this guys homemade 237 gallon tank and filtration system? I am impressed..

AbbeysDad 02-20-2012 09:37 AM

I've pondered the logic of moving bed media and just don't see how moving media is any better than moving water over or through media. "The rolling stone gathers no moss". Wouldn't a stable platform seem better to culturer bacteria colonies?
It also seems to me that porous [bio] media (ceramic, Matrix, De*Nitrate, lava rock...) has much more surface area to serve as a platform for beneficial bacteria than plastic straws, K1, bio-balls and such. Even plastic [nylon] pot scrubbers (check the dollar store for a real deal) are better than cut up straws.

Just my $.02.

AD

beetlebz 02-20-2012 10:39 AM

seems to me a pretty, and neat looking way to not do anything of value lol

there are ONLY 2 things that will effectively and reliably combat ammonia. Patience, is the first big one. Commercial biological filtration (or units WITH biological filtration) are going to work just as well. The new rage im hearing about is only biological filtration, no mech or chemical. To each his own, imho. It will still certainly keep the ammonia down, provided water changes are getting done. But the biggest part of the equation, is having the patience to cycle those bacterial colonies properly. No short cuts on this one.

Plants are a big #2. Still takes a little bit of patience to get the plants growing and filling out, but once they have attained their ideal growth and growth rates, they are monsters at devouring things we dont want in our aquariums.

thats it.

what the kid in this video is doing essentially make a bio filter. If you have a filter, it will do the same thing and then some in time. That might actually be a neat project if you used a real bio media in there or something less smooth than straws, still not necessary though, IMHO. Actually.... I wonder if I could make something similar to off set the 2nd filter on my 110g...

Adamson 03-06-2012 12:31 AM

I made one and have it in my 29 gallon tank along with my HOB Aquaclear 50 Filter. I put a lot of fish in there right away and these two filters together are doing a great job dealing with the bioload. I am raising Piranhas and will soon put the fry in there, just need more driftwood/hiding places.

beetlebz 03-06-2012 07:53 AM

show us pics!

Adamson 03-07-2012 02:41 PM

Here is a little video I made of it, lol

beetlebz 03-08-2012 10:32 AM

what did you use for the moving media?

and I hope you seek medical attention for that poor suffering cat that was screaming... :lol: jk jk

Adamson 03-08-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 1007071)
what did you use for the moving media?

and I hope you seek medical attention for that poor suffering cat that was screaming... :lol: jk jk

Hel-x, it is very similar to K1 but apparently has a little bit more surface area.

And yeah, that was my girlfriend and I playing around a couple Christmas's ago unfortunately lol..