Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Severums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/severums-93836/)

Kutzke45 02-19-2012 09:56 PM

Severums

I currently have two 3 inch sevs and two 2 incs sevs if not a little smaller. All of them get along great. I really want to add a red face sev. The local fish store sells a three inch for $40. My buddy has a 6 inch one that he will sell for $45. Would that big one be okay with the smaller ones? He has smaller fish in with the sev and it doesn't bother anyone, it is real passive. Also, my smaller sevs are pretty aggressive. I want to buy the fish locally because of the water in out area. I'm afraid if I buy a sev off the internet it will be a shock because of the pH difference. The natural pH in my area is roughly 7.5. I've had my sevs for a while and they do fine it it because it's constant. What do you guys think?? Should I provide a lot of hiding places? I currently do but I was thinking about adding a large piece of driftwood and just plants. Thank you guys.

Tazman 02-19-2012 10:14 PM

What size is your tank?

Kutzke45 02-19-2012 10:18 PM

I have a 75. I was told you can fit 4 in. If I have to I can get rid of one or two of the smaller ones.

beetlebz 02-19-2012 10:22 PM

i have 3 with a jewel cichlid in a 110, and right now its a waiting game to see if the fighting stops. wont know till you try. id recommend lots of hiding places, like you said.

Tazman 02-19-2012 10:32 PM

I would agree that it might be a hit and miss situation.

Most fish (with exceptions) will get along when small, it is when they mature and become sexually active that problems are usually encountered...problems which can lead to all out war and dead fish quickly.

At 6" the larger one would likely be the terror as such...also might view the smaller ones as food.

I certainly would not keep all those severums in that size tank to adulthood...it could be hell for you.

Kutzke45 02-19-2012 10:39 PM

Yeah I might have to get rid of some. But like I said his fish is real passive. It never fights back even if it gets picked at. The smaller ones are still big and quick enough not to get eaten. I think I might try it just cause I love the look of the red face sev. I have a lot of decor and the size of his sev won't be able to fit in the hiding spots in case they did get picked on so that might help. How can you sex sevs? I doubt it's possible to determine at the size they're at.

Tazman 02-19-2012 10:44 PM

females tend to have no markings on the gill plates and are usually smaller.

Tazman 02-19-2012 10:46 PM

Only way though to be sure is watch them pairing up or vent them.

rrcoolj 02-20-2012 09:24 AM

These guys can easily hit 10-12" and emit a huge biload. A pair is all I would house in that size tank. Anymore would be too much. It is not a matter of will they get along it is a matter of bio-load. For the volume of water you have keeping the water clean would be hell. Not too mention it could get quite cramped. What are your intentions for this tank? Do you want a pair? If no than I would stick to one sev and build your tank around that fish. If you're intentions are for a pair skip the large one and grow out the little guys until they pair up. The red face sev are called rotkeils and they are not the same as our typical green severum.

beetlebz 02-20-2012 10:08 AM

This is all news to me, dunno how I missed it! After much research on the topic, im leaning towards half agreeing lol From what I can tell, the only difference between any of the commonly available severums, is color. Im still doing some research, but even the rotkeils are heros efasciatus. Im wondering if I have ever even seen a green severum. Bubble buster.

anyway yeah I forgot about the 6" sev, I wouldnt bother with that one either.