Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New tank ^_^ help me stock it? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-tank-_-help-me-stock-9382/)

Little-Fizz 11-15-2007 09:39 PM

New tank ^_^ help me stock it?

Alright, I just picked up a 28 gallon tank, not as big as I wanted but yeah it was my moms money and she was like yellin at me telling me a 75 gallon is too big. Pfft who has ever heard of to big? Anyways, I've just finished setting it up, it looks so bare and sad :( I can't wait to add plants and fish (But I will). I already have 4 swordtails, 1 apple snail, and three shrimp that will be moved to this tank once it is finished cycling. So if anyone has any suggestions to stock my tank that would be pretty cool. I'm thinking I want at least one small group of schooling fish and like maybe a couple pairs of something? I'm not really sure yet, just as long as they don't eat my shrimp/snail. I think I want something with colour, I saw a really cool fish on the internet the other day... I don't remember what it was called but it was little and purple if that helps? (probably doesn't lol sorry!) any suggestions welcome, thanks!

Lupin 11-15-2007 10:45 PM

Re: New tank ^_^ help me stock it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Alright, I just picked up a 28 gallon tank, not as big as I wanted but yeah it was my moms money and she was like yellin at me telling me a 75 gallon is too big. Pfft who has ever heard of to big? Anyways, I've just finished setting it up, it looks so bare and sad :( I can't wait to add plants and fish (But I will). I already have 4 swordtails, 1 apple snail, and three shrimp that will be moved to this tank once it is finished cycling. So if anyone has any suggestions to stock my tank that would be pretty cool. I'm thinking I want at least one small group of schooling fish and like maybe a couple pairs of something? I'm not really sure yet, just as long as they don't eat my shrimp/snail. I think I want something with colour, I saw a really cool fish on the internet the other day... I don't remember what it was called but it was little and purple if that helps? (probably doesn't lol sorry!) any suggestions welcome, thanks!

Rasboras I think will make great addition. Either harlequin or hengeli, it's up to you. If you can provide Java moss and more plants for the shrimps' sake, you can get apistogrammas or blue rams.

Little-Fizz 11-16-2007 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Rasboras I think will make great addition. Either harlequin or hengeli, it's up to you. If you can provide Java moss and more plants for the shrimps' sake, you can get apistogrammas or blue rams.

Thank you! I really like the blue rams for sure, And the rasboras are pretty cute, I'm not sure that I've ever seen these fish in my lsf, so I'll go check it out. I love loaches, I had green boti loaches (Not sure if thats the real name, just what they were sold to me as.) And they were beautiful, I loved the stripes they were like perfect tiger stripes. Any ideas on what sort of loach that would be happy in my tank? I don't have sand, the gravel isn't large but probably to big to have a loach that likes to dig... Come to thing of it a saw a lot of yo yo loaches when I went to buy my tank last night, they are super cool. Would they be alright like 2 or 3 in my tank? Thanks again! Oh, and I asked the guy last night about java moss because I'm aware that the shrimp enjoy that. But he told me with my lighting (moderate) That I shouldn't bother with the moss because it probably wouldn't do well. He did suggest a java fern? Do shrimp like this too? Thanks again!

Lupin 11-16-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

I love loaches, I had green boti loaches (Not sure if thats the real name, just what they were sold to me as.) And they were beautiful, I loved the stripes they were like perfect tiger stripes. Any ideas on what sort of loach that would be happy in my tank?

Any pictures of the green botiine loach? Could be yellow instead of green. :?: Chances are this could be Laos Tiger Loach which is part of the Syncrossus genus. Syncrossus are extremely aggressive and all botiine loaches will eat your shrimps.

I would stick to Pangios.

Quote:

Come to thing of it a saw a lot of yo yo loaches when I went to buy my tank last night, they are super cool. Would they be alright like 2 or 3 in my tank?
Unfortunately, yoyo loaches are too big for the 28 gallons. You need to keep 3 as the minimum. 6 inches is the norm for full-grown adults.
Quote:

Oh, and I asked the guy last night about java moss because I'm aware that the shrimp enjoy that. But he told me with my lighting (moderate) That I shouldn't bother with the moss because it probably wouldn't do well. He did suggest a java fern? Do shrimp like this too? Thanks again!
Java moss will be fine. You can situate it in shaded areas. These ones grow very quickly and are undemanding. Java ferns will be fine but will not provide as much as shelter as the Java moss.

Little-Fizz 11-16-2007 09:24 AM

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm glad the java moss will be fine. I've wanted it for a while now, but in my current tank I don't even have a light :( Lol the condition of my mom buying me the tank was that I had to put lots of plants in it... Shes a freak haha :lol:

Little-Fizz 11-16-2007 10:19 AM

Yeah sorry, I missed the part where you asked for a picture of the loach. I have a pic from when I had one, I discovered shorty after I bought them that they would be WAY to big for my tank. But I asked the guy if they would fit in my tank (I know now not to trust them) Anyways it died shortly after (Like a week) my tank wasn't cycled so I'm assuming it was being over stocked and super bad water conditons. So in the picture the fish doesn't look over all healthy and pretty pale. They were really cool fish though, there was two and they always stuck together. I never saw any agression from them. They liked to hide a lot too.http://fishforum.com/userpix/2862_botia_loach_1.jpg[/img]

Lupin 11-16-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Yeah sorry, I missed the part where you asked for a picture of the loach. I have a pic from when I had one, I discovered shorty after I bought them that they would be WAY to big for my tank. But I asked the guy if they would fit in my tank (I know now not to trust them) Anyways it died shortly after (Like a week) my tank wasn't cycled so I'm assuming it was being over stocked and super bad water conditons. So in the picture the fish doesn't look over all healthy and pretty pale. They were really cool fish though, there was two and they always stuck together. I never saw any agression from them. They liked to hide a lot too.http://fishforum.com/userpix/2862_botia_loach_1.jpg[/img]

This is Syncrossus hymenophysa. Max. size is believed to be 10 inches and will require a group. Besides, this fish is actually extremely aggressive especially when well-established in the tank.

My advice is for you not to buy loaches in the early stages of the tank. These are undoubtedly sensitive to water conditions.

mr.bojangles 11-17-2007 10:18 PM

as for a schooling fish id get cherry barbs. ther a really deep red that stands out (escpecially the males). unlike most barbs i find ther not as agressive, and i havnt had them distroy my plants. they max out at 2 inches and a small school of 5 or six would be fine

as for loaches, instead of the botia type loaches id go with khulis, a big group of like 6-9. ther so sweet